5.iii

"What am I going to do with the lad?" Thorin asked of Balin a few days later after they had gone over inventories and restored housing arrangements together. "Kíli's not going to forget her. He never promised that before, and he certainly hasn't done so now."

"And have you told him to?" the elder dwarf asked.

"Yes." Thorin sighed heavily and pressed a hand to his brow. "When we argued and he nearly left with her."

"And if he did court an elf, would that be so bad?" Balin's tone was neutral.

"I won't have my nephew connected to one of them," Thorin protested vehemently. "To a woman he met in the Elvenking's dungeons! Would you have Thranduil scorn us twice over as unfit to be kings?"

"From what I understand, the young woman has little of her own king's favor. If you are so set on snubbing him, accepting Tauriel might very well accomplish that even better." Thorin thought he detected a note of dry humor in his cousin's voice.

"I have no wish to snub him," Thorin said pointedly. "I would prefer to avoid his interest altogether."

Balin smiled softly. "I might suggest that forming an alliance would be more prudent. Our enemies are hardly gone forever."

Thorin snorted. "If Thranduil wishes an alliance, he shall have to make the first gesture. I've had enough of his pride to last a lifetime, should I prove as deathless as he."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"Don't," Thorin corrected, a smile starting across his face. "You only call me that when you disagree with me."

"Do I?" Balin asked, as if he had not noticed. When Thorin remained silent, Balin continued. "I merely suggest that young Kíli's interests may be less at odds with yours than you suppose."

Thorin sighed. "How can you suggest I honor his attachment? No dwarf has ever wed outside his kind, and for an elf? Kíli's station prevents it, if nothing else does."

"If he truly loves her, do you think he'll chose anyone else?"

Thorin could see where this was going. "Better our line end than go to an elf."

"You have two nephews," Balin said reasonably.

Yes, and Fíli, at least, was responsible enough to marry and have heirs in the proper way. But that didn't change the fact that what Kíli wanted was utterly unreasonable. Besides, dwarvish bloodlines ran slowly; even if Fíli had a son, the throne might revert to his brother's line in the future.

"So if one of them chooses an elf, I can disinherit him," Thorin concluded gruffly, and Balin knew better than to challenge him on it.

"By the way," Balin remarked as he gathered papers, pens, and ink. "We had a raven from your sister this morning. Our people have set out from Ered Luin."