30.ii

The soft rush of water had been present throughout all of Kíli's dreams, and when he woke, it was several long moments before he realized he was not dreaming still. Tauriel lay beside him, warm and soft. Her feet were tangled in his, and her arm was draped over him, and they were both awash in the copper waves of her hair. This was all quite undisputedly the substance of the loveliest dream.

But it was the sound of water that proved where he was: quite awake and in Rivendell, above the hundred falls of the Bruinen. He and Tauriel had arrived here the previous evening and had been given this room overlooking the vale after Tauriel had declared her ardent wish to see the sun rising over the mist. The time was just before dawn now, as Kíli could see by the pearl and gold clouds beyond their balcony window.

He got out of bed carefully so as not to disturb Tauriel and moved to the balcony, just remembering to catch up his shirt from the floor and put it on before he stepped out into the open air. Their Company had, he reflected with a light chuckle, shown all of Rivendell quite enough naked dwarf during their last visit.

Below him, the valley was cloaked in silvery mist, ghostly shapes here and there resolving into the gables and spires of Elrond's house. The spray from the falls added a delightful chill to the late summer air, and Kíli shivered once.

Looking out over this view three years ago, he had felt he truly had left behind the world he knew and that their adventure was finally crossing over into that fantastic land of story in which Erebor had always existed for him. He had found since then, of course, that the reality of their quest was much more dangerous and grim than any tale had prepared him for, and yet the wonders, too, had been far greater than those of his uncle's stories. Not the least of those wonders was the discovery of a treasure in the very last place he could have expected to find it. And now, to stand here again, with that treasure slumbering, content, in his bed behind him... Well, Kíli supposed his life had become a very strange and delightful tale, indeed.

He turned back for Tauriel; the sun would be up soon, and he did not want her to miss a moment.