9.ii

"Thorin, I've tried to stay out of your family squabbles, but how can you make Kíli co-captain with Tauriel? Do you want to lose him to her?" Daín had demanded once the envoy from Dale had left in the morning.

"That remains to be seen," his cousin returned tersely.

"You would take that chance?" Daín's disbelieving tone clearly indicated he could not see the sense of such an action.

"Daín, I'm giving it to him."

"You don't mean you approve of her?" Daín sounded, if possible, even more shocked.

"As a match? Hardly." Thorin didn't need Daín to point out all the reasons it would be better for his nephew to choose one of their own people. "But how can I deny the boy, when he risked his life for my claim?" The words were a mild reproach to Daín, who had initially refused to take part in the quest, claiming it was Thorin's task alone.

From Daín's piqued expression, Thorin knew his meaning had not been missed. "Yes," Daín admitted, not quite sullen. "You gave so much to be here, and you'd let him trade it away—your throne, your line—for a fancy?"

"No sons of hers will ever sit on this throne, if that's what concerns you. Kíli has offered me that much himself." He supposed that Daín, as next in succession after Thorin's nephews, had reason to care what became of the throne of Erebor.

"And when the council of the Seven Kingdoms meets here next spring, you would have them see you with an elf at your table and an heir disowned?" Daín insisted. "That's hardly an inspiring claim for your fitness to rule."

"I have the Arkenstone, don't I?" Thorin snapped. "Last I recall, that was all they required as proof of my claim." Thorin would have marched the armies of the Seven Kingdoms to Erebor decades ago, had they recognized his authority to command them. But the dwarf kings had stood by the oath they had sworn long ago, to obey the one who held that sacred jewel, and would unite for nothing less, never mind that the stone was Thorin's by right.

"Prove them wrong, then, to have overlooked you," Daín said steadily.

"I intend to—without overlooking the claims of those who upheld mine." Thorin's patience was wearing thin. He knew Daín's arguments weren't without merit; if his cousin made such objections, others would, too, and Thorin would do well to consider. Daín was not merely saying this now to pick a fight. But it grated on Thorin that Daín could so readily dismiss the recognition owed to loyal friends and kin.

Daín sighed, composing himself before taking a different approach. "If Kíli wants a lass that much, find him a bride at the council. He's a likely young man, and many's the lass would be happy to have him."

"Your point is well taken," Thorin said, though his tone suggested otherwise. "But I will not force Kíli into an alliance against his will."

Daín nodded, clearly equally frustrated. "Thorin, I have been a ruler, and I know what it means to choose what I must," he said pointedly.

"Do not pretend you know what that is in my case," Thorin answered darkly and stalked from the room before things could become truly ugly.