24.ii

Passing through Dale on their way back to Erebor, they had stopped at the garrison to tell Tauriel's friends among the guard that their former captain was returned to the mountain, though she would not be resuming her old post. Her duty, she explained, had been claimed by the Prince of Erebor, under whose command she would now serve. The news was received with pleasure, since—once the strangeness of being commanded by a woman and an elf had worn off —she had been generally liked and well-respected.

Afterwards, Tauriel had insisted that they make one other visit to the house of Bard, the soon to be king of Dale.

His elder daughter, Sigrid, had greeted them at the entrance of the grand house. Her manner was warm and friendly, as it always was, and yet Kíli could tell from her stare that she was truly astonished to see Tauriel and him standing side by side on the flagstones of her courtyard.

Then before her guests could explain themselves, she said breathlessly, "I must call Tilda," and ran back into the house, leaving the two dwarves and the elf standing on her doorstep.

Not half a minute later, the sound of light, running footsteps echoed from the hall, and then Tilda herself appeared.

"Tauriel!"

The young girl leaped at the elf, who caught her up from the ground in an enthusiastic embrace. Kíli felt a wide grin break over his face; truly his Tauriel was beloved by others beyond himself.

"Oh Tauriel, you came back!" Tilda cried. Tauriel set the girl down, and Kíli noticed that both had tears on their cheeks.

"I said I would," Tauriel reminded her.

"I know, but I was afraid it might be years and years!" Tilda appeared to notice her friend's companions for the first time. "And you're with Kíli! I mean, Your Highness!" She made an awkward curtsey to him, her face growing quite red.

"Nah, you don't have to call me that," Kíli returned, laughing. "I'll make an exception, since you're a princess, too." He winked.

Beaming again, Tilda looked back to Tauriel. "I told you he would come back. I told you!" she said.

"And you were right," Tauriel agreed.

Tilda glanced back to Kíli. "She was afraid you wouldn't," the girl explained. "But I said I would believe for her."

"Thank you," Kíli said, quite touched.

"And look." Tauriel offered her hand, which sparkled with Kíli's betrothal ring. "You asked once before about the meaning of a gift from Kíli. This time, you may guess right."

Tilda squeaked with pleasure. "You are marrying him."

"Yes! And you shall come to the wedding."

"Oh Tauriel, I'm so— so— happy!" Tilda caught the elf around the waist again, and Tauriel passed a hand over the girl's hair. Kíli noted that Tilda wore the same braids Tauriel often did, bound with the little silver ornaments that had once been Tauriel's own. The clasps had been a parting gift, he supposed.

Releasing Tauriel, Tilda turned to Kíli and caught him in a hug, as well. She had grown to be taller than he since he had first met her in Laketown, and as he thumped her gently on the back, Kíli found himself wondering for a moment just how tall his own children with Tauriel might one day be.

Tilda next looked to Dwalin, her expression somewhat embarrassed and uncertain as she clearly wondered whether or not to include him in the round of congratulations.

"Aye, lass, I'm glad, too," the gruff warrior said and extended a big hand for her to clasp, which Tilda took as an invitation for an embrace. Tauriel and Kíli both had to fight not to laugh at the look of long-suffering embarrassment on Dwalin's face as he gingerly patted Tilda's shoulder.

"Won't you stay for supper?" Sigrid then said from the doorway behind them. "I know Da would be happy to see you all."

"Thank you," Kíli returned. "We'd be most honored to, but I've already sent word and my uncle expects us home tonight. But if you would like to plan on seeing us a sennight hence, we would be happy to accept then."

"Yes, of course!" Sigrid smiled warmly. "And thank you for your visit. It means a great deal to us, especially to my sister." She glanced to Tilda, who stood with her arm tucked in Tauriel's, and Kíli wondered if Sigrid had struggled to console her sister for the loss of this friend.

Tauriel bowed. "My joy is doubled by sharing it with you."

Kíli took Tilda's other arm in his own. "Come walk with us down to the city gate," he said, and with a laugh, she agreed.