12.ii

Sif reminded Fíli of home, something that was perhaps a little odd, as they had had little to do with one another back in Ered Luin. Since she was the daughter of one of the higher ranking noblemen in their exiled community, Fíli had known who she was, but that had been the extent of things. He had always thought her very pretty, but far too shy and afraid of life to be someone he would consider pursuing.

And yet, as she ran on ahead of him down the echoing gallery, she did not seem afraid at all. She paused beneath the dome at the midpoint of the vaulted hall and stood staring up at the concave ceiling. Then she took a few more steps, deliberately clapping her boots against the polished floor and then standing still again.

Fíli knew what she was listening for; the dome was built so that it magnified every sound as you passed beneath and reflected it back with an unnatural clearness.

"Fíli, listen!" Sif called as he joined her, and he seemed to hear her voice twice: once from her lips and again from all the stone surrounding them. She flushed, perhaps embarrassed at the sound of herself being so bold with his name.

"It's wonderful, isn't it?" he answered her softly, knowing she would hear him well enough.

"Oh, yes," she breathed.

"You can shout if you want," Fíli told her.

Sif met his eye, as if to ascertain that he was truly serious. Then she threw back her head and cried, "Hello! Erebor! You can't be lonely any more! We're here now! It's me, Sif! And— And Fíli! " Then she laughed at her own nonsense, in sweet, unrestrained peals.

Fíli watched her, delighted in her delight. For her, there was just the wonder of this place, without all the weight of expectations and responsibilities of tradition.

"I tried to imagine what it would be like here," she said, her voice soft once more. "But this is so much more marvelous than I could guess."

Fíli nodded. "I grew up on stories of this place, and I thought that meant I would know it when I arrived. But the stories are nothing to all this." He gestured broadly, taking in the whole mountain with his hand. "Sometimes I still wake up and walk out into the Great Hall and wonder what I'm doing here."

She laughed, and then stopped herself.

"What?"

"Um..." Her mouth crooked up in a self-conscious smile. "I just never thought—" Sif turned away from him swiftly, pale brails swirling, and kept walking down the hallway in the direction they had been going earlier.

"You can't just say that and not tell me," Fíli urged gently as he followed her. He very much wanted to know what she had been about to say, but he was afraid to push her too hard.

"Well..." she said cautiously after a few moments. "You mustn't think me a very great fool."

"Of course I don't."

"You're the prince. You always seemed to know exactly what to do for everything."

Fíli laughed, light and quick.

"See? You do think I'm silly!" she cried.

"I was laughing at myself!" Fíli assured her.

"Oh..." Sif still seemed uncertain.

"I'm not saying you were wrong," Fíli went on. "When we left on the quest, I did think I was ready for anything we might find."

"Weren't you?" she asked, sounding almost afraid to hear the answer.

Fíli groaned. "Oh, Sif, I nearly got my brother and Mr. Baggins eaten by trolls after we'd barely even left civilization!"

Sif stopped walking and turned to stare at him, her eyes wide and her expression empty. To his surprise, Fíli felt hurt at the thought that he had somehow unknowingly disappointed her.

Then her expression relaxed, and she turned away from him as before, but not fast enough to keep Fíli from seeing how red her face had gone. "Here I am, being stupid again," she admitted softly.

"I never said—"

"I really don't know you at all!" she exclaimed.

And yet, Fíli readily understood, she had thought of him enough to imagine she did know him. He smiled, somewhat embarrassed now himself.

"Come on," Fíli said, catching up to her with a few quick strides. "Those fountains we're looking for are off one of these side passages just ahead." He took her hand, and though Sif started slightly at his touch, she closed her fingers over his as she followed him.