28.ii

The form of the dwarvish wedding ceremony reflected the oldest sacred myths of the Khazad's awakening within Arda. If Kíli had been from any of the other six clans, he would have entered the hall beside Tauriel, to signify the way that Mahal had woken the progenitors of each clan beside their mates. Yet for a Longbeard, the wedding had one slight variation. The great Durin, alone of the seven patriarchs, had been given no bride at the beginning; he had wed later, introduced by a brother patriarch to a woman from one of the younger clans. And so Kíli, like his ancestor, entered the hall late and led by his brother, who would also act as Kíli's primary witness to the marriage pledge.

Though the Longbeard tradition kept him from Tauriel's side a few minutes longer, Kíli decided he was glad of it, for it gave him ample time to admire her all the while he made his way down the hall.

She was always beautiful, and yet today, oh, she was beautiful. The dwarven seamstress had certainly risen to the challenge of Tauriel's elvish figure: rather than following the full-skirted dwarvish pattern, her gown was much more like the elvish dresses Tauriel often wore, hugging her slender waist and hips to tumble in loose, flowing skirts about her long legs. The bodice was laced to add somewhat to the natural swell of her breasts, while its wide V neckline perfectly framed the necklace Kíli had made for her so that the combined effect was entirely modest. The design had even taken into account Tauriel's distaste for showy ornament; as Kíli drew near, he could see that while the base layer of the dress was covered with gems—no prince could permit his bride to appear unadorned—several sheer top layers softened the effect of the stones so that Tauriel merely glowed softly, like moonlit clouds. The whole dress was in deepest midnight (a color which brought out the flame of her hair so well), but just as Kíli stopped before her, he caught a glimpse of silvery underdress within the lacing of her bodice and beneath the gathers of her full, gauzy sleeves.

"When Mahal created the first Khazad," Fíli said now, "he made them in wedded pairs, so they would not wake to the world alone. Tauriel, my brother is still alone. Will you have him as your mate and companion?"

She looked to Kíli and smiled. "I will."

Fíli placed Kíli's hand in hers.

"Just like Durin, I had to search long and journey far to find my match," Kíli told her. The words were not part of the ceremony, but it felt right to remember this further similarity to his forefather.

"I'm very glad you did," Tauriel whispered, the words for him alone.

He nodded happily, and then watched for her intake of breath that would indicate she was ready to speak the next words of the ceremony in time with him.