24.iii

Even a year ago, Thorin would not have believed that he could ever be happy to welcome an elf to Erebor. And yet here he stood at the head of the entrance hall to the mountain, with nephew and sister,—and amidst no small onlooking crowd—quite glad to await Kíli's return with his elven betrothed.

Thorin could not help but remember how the last time he had greeted an elf on the doorstep to the mountain, it had been to threaten war if a treasure was not returned to him. Tauriel came today returning an altogether different sort of treasure, one that Thorin himself could not hope to keep if he did not relinquish it to her. Yet surprisingly, Thorin found he was not sorry to let Tauriel have his nephew. Kíli's absence this past month had proved hardly distinguishable from his subdued and unhappy presence of the two months before that. This further proof that they had been losing Kíli only reconfirmed Thorin's belief that he had been right to consent to the match. While Kíli's dauntless enthusiasm and cheer had surely led him into his share of mischief as a boy, Thorin appreciated that Kíli's bright nature had been a gift to their family household—and indeed, to the mountain itself. Both had seemed more gloomy of late.

The wicket-door within the great gate opened now, and the figures of a dwarf and an elf were momentarily silhouetted within it. Then Kíli and Tauriel were inside and fully visible in the reflected sunlight of the gilded entrance hall. One of the gate wardens addressed Kíli, apologetically gesturing to Tauriel's weapons; since the battle, no elf had been permitted before the king so armed with knife and bow. Yet taking Tauriel's hand, which flashed for an instant like a star, Kíli offered some dismissal and the guard bowed respectfully and retreated.

Kíli looked to his family now, and beaming as if he were returning with the burgled Arkenstone itself, came towards them.

Thorin and the family welcoming party started towards Kíli and his elf, but it was Fíli who met them first, running ahead down the gold-paved hall.

"You found her!" he cried, clasping Kíli about the shoulders. Then looking up to Tauriel, he added, "I thought you were going to lead him on a chase halfway across Middle-earth."

"I'm glad I did not," Tauriel said, and Thorin thought she seemed almost apologetic.

"He'd have done it for you, and more besides." Fíli clapped his hand to hers and she returned his firm grasp. "No, I was more concerned that if he did have to follow you all the way to the West, he wouldn't have waited to bring you back, but would have found someone to marry you on the way. I figure the idea would have occurred to him by about the time you reached Rivendell. And then I'd be cheated out of my brotherly duty at his wedding. Although technically, you know, he's supposed to wait for me to marry first, as I'm the elder brother."

"What?" Kíli protested. "Surely you know me better than that! I could hardly celebrate my wedding without a proper dwarven ale for the marriage feast, so I would not have married her in Rivendell. Surely we'd have to choose the Shire, instead. You remember that beautiful nut brown ale they served at the Green Dragon?"

Fíli grinned. "I do recall you bid it a most tearful farewell before we all mounted up to leave Hobbiton."

Tauriel was smiling now, too. "How did you know I meant to go west to Rivendell?"

"It was just a guess. Kíli was always talking about our travels, and I knew you wanted to see those places, too."

"So I do," she confessed, sharing a knowing look with Kíli. "We hope to journey there soon, if you can spare us." In one easy, graceful movement, she leaned a hip against Kíli and laid her arm over his shoulders. The gesture and her look of adoration were a far stronger display of her affection for him than Thorin had ever seen her show openly.

"I keep telling her I've been very useless lately and you won't miss me," Kíli said, unconsciously tucking an arm about her waist. He looked much improved in body, as well as spirits, Thorin noted. Though Kíli was perhaps still somewhat lean, he no longer had that spare, wasted look that had worried his uncle before.

"Your Majesty!" Tauriel gasped then as Thorin stopped before her. Dipping into a bow, she pulled Kíli slightly off balance and he stumbled into her. He gave his uncle an cheeky grin while Tauriel blushed.

"Mistress Tauriel," Thorin said, inclining his head. "I take great pleasure in welcoming you as my nephew's betrothed."

"Thank you."

"If it had been only a matter of pleasing Kíli, I would have done so some time ago. I am finally in a position to give you both what you deserve."

"I assure you, I hold nothing against you, Your Majesty," Tauriel returned, and Thorin knew she meant it.

He allowed himself a smile at last. "I don't believe Kíli ever calls me that among family; neither must you."

"Yes, my Lord Thorin." Tauriel looked distinctly uncomfortable, but Kíli was gazing up at her proudly, and she soon took reassurance from him.

Then Dís pushed past Thorin towards her son and his betrothed.

"Welcome back, my dear," she said, gathering Tauriel's hands into her own.

To Thorin's surprise, Tauriel dropped to her knees before the dwarf woman and pressed her forehead to the princess's hands.

"You have already blessed me more than I can say," Tauriel said softly, raising her head. The two women gazed at one another, sharing some private thought.

Then Dís lifted Tauriel's hand to inspect the gem sparkling on her finger. "So this is his gift. Kíli wouldn't show it to me before he left; he said I would see it on your hand or not at all."

"I've never seen finer work," Tauriel said, looking to Kíli as she praised him. In turn, Kíli quite glowed, like a coal under the breath of a bellows. Thorin knew that look, having often received it himself from a young Kíli proud to have gained his uncle's approval.

"He has a very good eye," Dís agreed. "It complements you perfectly."

Tauriel blushed as she stood and let Kíli's mother lead her down the hall into the heart of the mountain.

Thorin followed them, falling into step beside his young nephew. "I see your new beard didn't suit her," he said with a smile.

"It didn't suit me," Kíli returned in mock defense. "And it was beginning to interfere with my archery."

Thorin snorted. "Archery."

"Yes, my archery." Kíli grinned, roguish and unrepentant. "It's difficult to kiss the arrow with that much hair on my face."

Thorin chuckled, then clapped Kíli on the shoulder. "It's good to have you back."