Chapter 3: Wealthy Poors

The day flew past and I managed to get by in every subject but Prince Loki outdid me in all of them.

He was a natural in horse riding, his back straight and his face set in the same prissy way as always. He held the reins in his pale hands, resting in his palm effortlessly.

"You ride as if you are a child trying to ride a squirrel. Unfocused and pathetic," he hissed as I struggled to hold onto a beast that I have never ridden in my life. The horse was massive- he easily towered over me- what was I supposed to do? It didn't help that he was skittish and angry most the time.

Loki excelled in magic and illusions; as was expected of the God of Mischief. He would yawn and lazily flick his hand and silence the noise around him.

His fighting abilities were flawless, his words strong and carefully spoken, and he held power in both his royal position and fear.

I was angry, really. I could even go to the lengths of saying I was slightly jealous. It seemed as if whenever I talked to him he criticized me and insulted me. I did everything in my power to hold my tongue against the Silver-Tongued Prince. I didn't need to be punished for my fowl words and possibly get exiled from Asgard completely, I didn't know how far he could take it.

Finally, supper rolled around and we all gathered in the dining hall. The apprentices buzzed around, the delight on their faces. I took my seat next to Asmund who was turned facing a pretty girl telling stories of how his magic saved his family and how he had beaten a legendary warrior in battle. I snorted.

"Yes, Asmund the Great, who defeated the Legendary Warrior while cowering on his bum!" I chuckled, elbowing him playfully and he rolled his eyes. The girl he had been talking to laughed and sighed as she took her leave.

"Way to go. You ruined my chance of ever getting a kiss from that lovely maiden." He grumbled as he stuffed roasted boar into his mouth, chewing with his mouth open. I sighed in disappointment and took a swig of Asgardian Mead.

"First of all, she's a battle maiden, second of all, you wouldn't have gotten it from her anyway," I said, pointing her out as she stood by her friends. She looked in awe at Prince Thor as he spoke loudly, smiling, and using big actions to describe his tale. She was simply fawning over him. I shifted my gaze to Prince Loki as I took another sip of mead.

Emerald eyes snapped up at me and I looked away quickly.

"Aw come on! Why does he get all the Ladies?" Asmund groaned, throwing himself back in the golden chair. I shrugged as I stood up.

"I will see you tomorrow?" I asked.

"Alright, but you didn't eat much," Asmund commented, passing me an Arctic Bramble Jelly pastry. It crumbled in his hands.

"No, that's alright. I am full but thank you for your concern," I said. I wasn't truly full, though. The feeling of eating like a King while my family and others struggle for even two small meals a day felt wrong in my every fiber of my being. No one else seemed affected as they devoured cooked pheasants, boars, bread, and more. Wine and mead were being poured over and over, cup after cup.

Asmund brushed it off and nodded up at me winking as he slid over to the next girl he saw. I rolled my eyes and walked the empty golden halls, the sound of laughter and loud chatter fading my every step.

My footsteps echoed softly across the vast hallway. The soft red and yellow glow of torches lit the hallway. I reached my door and opened it, its hinges creaking ever so slightly.

I sighed softly as I shut the door quietly.

"Lady Y/N," Gaela greeted me, bowing low. My breath had hitched in surprise. I would never be used to being called 'Lady' or having my own servant waiting in my to do my every command. It was unnerving and uncomfortable.