Chapter 4: Broken Sticks

It had been a total of six weeks since first being accepted into the academy. Magic lessons were now only twice a week, every apprentice was sorted into warrior class, mage class, or both. I was sorted in warrior though I continued my magic lessons.

I had made a small number of friends as well who made my days go by a tad easier.

Sif- she was the only other female warrior in Orgnar's training group. Slowly Sif and I began to prove to the men we do belong. Respect was mutual on both sides.

Asmund- he was a handful. If he wasn't buried in a book or casting crazy purple spells, he was flirting with every girl within a five-mile radius. It was never a surprise when Asmund suddenly disappeared from the dining hall to snog another girl in the corner. Whenever I tried to scold him, his excuse was always something along the lines of, "Live in the moment, Y/N."

I would even go as far as saying Prince Loki was a friend, though I doubted I was considered the same. We only talked and it was mostly in lessons only, and no matter what I did, he seemed slightly disappointed. I tried my best, however. I had grown to respect the Liesmith and hoped it was mutual, though I knew I was wishing for a lot.

Another night was upon me, I finished my modest meal and stood up to leave. I knew I had nearly another hour of free time before the apprentice curfew. Instead of walking back down the empty echo-y halls back to my domains, I walked out into the cool night to the gardens.

I have always loved the sound of water trickling and the wind breathing softly. It felt peaceful and homelike.

The quiet whisper of a small breeze dancing among the trees was calming to me. I could hear a few laughs and glasses clinking from the dining hall.

The moon shined down on the garden, giving the exotic flowers a glossy look. I sighed and sat down on the edge of the quarter-height wall, my feet dangling off the wall into the deep water hole before me.

The stars shimmered and thousands of galaxies and realms lay before me. Asgard sat in front of the rest of the realms- overlooking everything. It was beautiful; the bright colors filtering into others.

I just needed some air.

"Running away from your troubles?" A familiar taunting voice asked. I turned my head to look at him, my hair sliding over my shoulder.

"I wouldn't say so, are you?" I asked Prince Loki. His hands were clasped behind his back like normal, his raven hair slicked back and his green eyes shimmering in amusement.

Loki chuckled, shifting his eyes to the skies. He had avoided the question. I smiled to myself knowing he was out here because of it.

"Have you been trying your spell?" Loki asked, walking closer as he leans his forearms against the bare wall.

"Yes. I can get a longer flicker of light," I responded. It had gotten easier to talk to the Prince like everyone else.

"Mmhm," he said, his lips carefully curling in disappointment. "And are you still weak after casting it?" He asked, shifting so he leaned on his side to look at me. I dipped my head slowly.

"It is not as bad as it looks to be," I whispered. I was not pathetic.

"With someone with your aptitude of magic, it is as bad as it looks. You cannot lie to the God of Mischief," he said. "Cast it."

I began to protest before remembering he was helping and I was the one who asked for it. I turned and jumped down onto the soft grass and repositioned myself into a simple casting stance.

I focused on my hands, willing any and all magic I had to pass through my hands. A jolt of energy surged wildly in my hands.

Suddenly my palms began to shake, my legs weak as if they were under strain. A small orb flickered in my hand, a soft golden glow lighting the dark night, illuminating Loki's face. He smiled proudly and suddenly the light went out and his smile was no more.