Chapter 15: Handsama

"Bullocks," I hissed to Asmund. I could feel him shrug behind me. I took a deep breath since I was already confused and frustrated with Asmund. "Why do you think such a thing?"

"Well... When Loki is with you or near you he doesn't look like he wants to murder you. That's never happened with anyone else besides the Allmother," Asmund explained softly.

"That is because we are friends," I replied, a ripple of pride flowing through me, despite the chilled rain attempting to drown my pride.

"The Sly Prince does not have friends," Asmund said. I dig my short nails into my palms to prevent myself from harming Asmund in anger.

"And who are you to speak for him?" I asked evenly. As if he could sense my thoughts, the young prince flicked his verdant emerald eyes to me. I gave him an eye roll and he and I quickly look away from each other.

"Why did he 'befriend' you in the first place?" Asmund asked curiously.

"His... Mother wanted him to have at least a small connection with another person besides her. I just happened to be there at the right time," I answered, my voice trailing off the more I spoke. It did sound a little pathetic. Only friends because his mother forced him to find one.

"Ha! His mother!?" Asmund laughed, his deep chuckle echoing in my head which now throbbed... I gave him a hearty elbow to the ribs and he quickly stopped.

"Yes," I replied shortly, irritation evident in my voice.

"My point exactly, Y/N," Asmund whispered. "If his mother wished for him to have a 'connection' and he is older, wiser, and no longer under his mother's will... Why does he still treat you this way? Favor you?" Asmund asked slyly. A heavy, deep blush crept up my cheeks and I frowned.

"Because I am kind, complex, and sane. He has other friends. I am not special to the Prince," I grunted. "End of discussion, Asmund," I said sharply. Asmund snorted in doubt but stayed silent nonetheless.

--

It was another two hours horseback until we found a safe enough area to rest. Asmund helped me off Az and I found my way to Bjorn first. I sighed in relief to see that he had suffered no injuries. He whinnied softly and pushed his muzzle into my palm. I reached my hand up to pet his mane but the strain made me wince and bring my arm back to my side. I handed him an apple I had stolen from Asmund's bag while he was letting me down. That was one thing I valued that I was taught in training- being able to steal, for good reasons, and finding out your comrades weak spots so you could cover for their weak side. It so happens that Asmund's weak spot is paying attention when I am around.

Soft splashes and footsteps approached me. The footsteps were hard to recognize, meaning it was probably an elite-

"Lady Y/N? I apologize, I did not mean to draw you from your focus. I was foolish to do so and-" the familiar nasally voice of Heskell said quickly. He was out of breath and almost panicking- not good for a soldier.

"Rest easy, Heskell. I lived." I said flatly. He was foolish to do so, we had had five years of working together and learning what to do and not to do. To simply throw it out of the window because we were not in Asgard was not acceptable. But I did not focus on the thought, in an act of panic he chose to warn me. I could not blame him too harshly.

Heskell dipped his head in respect and shame. I flicked my hand, sending him walking away shaking his head.

Alone with Bjorn, I let my mind wander. I knew I shouldn't, that I should stay focused in case of an attack. I was after all in a foreign land in which every one of its residents wished to kill us. But this time, I couldn't prevent myself from doing so.