Chapter 30: Conformation

Running rampant in the quiet streets of a Jotunheim Stronghold and capital is something I never thought I would have to do. I didn't think anyone in Asgard would get the chance to, but here we are; ten Asgardians traipsing through Utgard, dodging the well-trained eyes of Jotunheim warriors by diving around corners and crouching for minutes on end. Sometimes a Frost Giant family would shuffle by, carrying small belongings in their hands to escape the city. They did have reason to worry, though we would not burn it and ransack it like they had done to us.

Or so I hoped. If Orgnar tried to do anything remotely against my own morals, I would cut him down where he stood, regardless of what my punishment might be. I believe he knew that, too, judging by the worried glances back to me every now and then and the shifting of his weapon in his hands.

Loki had run forward ahead of me after we exited the tunnel and into too bright of lights, leaving me trailing behind the group. Though I should've felt left behind and lonely, I most certainly did not. Every now and then warnings or words would drift into my head from him. Simple things like, 'watch out, a rock here,' or 'family coming from the left, duck.' If I didn't know any better, I would have thought that he was worried about me, trying to keep me out of the trouble he knew I could easily cause. Which was an odd though considering Loki was one of the most notorious troublemakers of all time, if anything, I should be worrying about the trouble he could cause.

But alas, I knew better, didn't I? He was most likely warning the others through telepathy as well, keeping their minds alert and sharp. I was nothing special to him, and if I was I was only a weakness to him. My heart ached for my thoughts to be wrong, but war and bloodshed hardens a person, drowns their hope and suffocates their dreams.

Another close call with a particularly hefty Jotun sends Orgnar over the edge. As the Jotun passed by, Orgnar released an angry sigh, throwing his fists against his thighs. His face was flushed and weary and though he was a commander, bred to shrug off anything and push through everything, he looked on the verge of losing hope. There was no safe way to get through Jotunheim without being caught at the moment. It was getting riskier the further into Utgard that we got.

Defeated, Orgnar groaned, hurrying into an empty stone structure, his head on a swivel for anything and everything. As soon as I disappeared into the darkened room, Orgnar swung around, shutting the wooden door shut with a quiet clatter. The faint light from the moon and galaxies above cast rays and specks of light into the home formation. In a way, it was serene and beautiful. The only sound was a gentle breeze that whistled through the wood in the windows or doors and our gentle breathing.

Of course, as to be expected, Orgnar tore such a treasured moment to pieces as he signaled for us to gather around him for his explanation. I was still retaliating in as many small ways as I could, just enough to not get punished. This time, I hung back from the group, refusing to close in on Orgnar. I would be able to hear just fine with the training that I had received since a young age in Asgard. Orgnar only gave me a sharp glare and a low growl before focusing his attention on his soldiers.

"There are too many Jotuns roaming the streets in Utgard as of right now. They are fleeing all while looking for us," Orgnar explained, waving his large hands about as if it aid his explanation. "They would not expect us to wait and rest in Utgard. They will expect us to charge in, reckless and predictable as most Asgardians would." At that, Thor opened his mouth and furrowed his brows as if offended, but his words were swallowed as Orgnar's eyes narrowed in his direction. It shut most protests up in general.

"So we rest up here and prepare for the final mission tomorrow?" Heskell clarified, his thin arms crossed in front of him with a weary expression to match it. Orgnar nodded his head.