Chapter 21: Equals

It wasn't long before the men split from the women for better privacy. Sif and I moved to the side where a large pile of boulders created a dam-like structure to block the prying eyes of our comrades. Though it would not have been the first time we had all witnessed each other naked, it felt good to have the least bit of privacy for once.

Sif sighed as she unwrapped her top and bottom garments. I followed suit, unwrapping the sweaty, grimy chest wrap from my body. Sif and I let the wraps soak in the corner where they would not be carried off in the current. We waded in the cool shallow end of the water and sighed as we ran our fingers through our snarled hair.

"I had never thought a bath would feel so good," Sif said softly, sighing as she leaned back. I nodded my head.

"It's been a while," I agreed. "It's like I am washing off a whole other person." Sif laughed softly, nodding her head.

"It truly does," she agreed. Sif cracked her knuckles and sat back, silent for a few moments. "So, you and the young prince?" she suggested. I roll my eyes. She and I were never usually ones for gossip or rumors. We were warriors, battle maidens, we felt there was no time to squabble over such matters, but in such a situation it felt right. To relax and attempt to take our minds off of the ever glaring problem was a blessing that she and I were to take. We were safe to do so, even. Such feeling seemed non-existent to us for so long. Safe. For now.

"So, you and the elder prince," I replied mockingly, easily dodging her question. She frowned.

"I said nothing of that," Sif said sternly.

"You didn't have to," I said. Sif crossed her arms in front of her, her brows furrowing.

"Was I right, though?" Sif asked softly, leaning forward with a cheeky look to her. Half of me wondered if she and a few of the other warriors had been making bets. I took note that I would have to investigate later. I shrugged. I truly didn't know what I felt for the young prince, though.

"Was I right?" I repeated. Sif rolled her eyes and shook her head.

"You are impossible, Lady Y/N," Sif said, a small smile forming on her pink lips.

"So I have been told," I said quietly.

----------------------------

Sif and I finished quickly, re-wrapping our chests and slipping on our undergarments. I wrung out my hair and wrapped the towel around my broad body. It was beginning to darken and the air around us became chillier. As I turned around the pile of boulders, the men were jumbling around with rocks and sticks and I could only shake my head. Children at heart. Asmund kept flicking rocks away from Thor and Heskell which his magic, making both of them equally upset. I was sure Asmund would be forcibly drowned sooner than later. I nabbed my daggers from the flat rock and began heading back to the hut.

I entered the hut, swatting at the heavily beaded doorway as I continued in. In the center of the hut was a small fire pit that was lit with the fire blazing warmly inside it. It felt good to have a warm, welcoming fire for the first time in a long time. I decided that today was one of the most relaxing days I had enjoyed since training. It felt good to unwind, though I knew it would not last as long as we all hoped it would.

I dried my damp hair once more before digging out a fresh sky blue tunic and slipping it on over my head. I glanced over to the table that held mine and Asmund's trusty armor but decided against putting in on. I would sleep better and wake easier without it on, and Hynola promised no threat against us. I knew for anyone a promise could very well be dangerous to break- especially with a handful of elite warriors from Asgard at your feet.