Chapter Ten

Aruna felt relieved when the mountain city that was Markarth came into view as the last of the daylight faded into night. The ancient Dwemer city was beautiful in its own way, but it had never been a place in which she wanted to spend much time.  There was a definite undercurrent of corruption to the town that always made her feel tense, as if she needed to constantly watch her back. It wasn't like Riften, which was openly tainted, and Markarth held bad memories for her from the last time she'd been there. Even so, she was tired and was looking forward to visiting the inn and sitting by the fire with a hot meal.

As they approached the giant Dwarven-made gates of the city, Aruna noticed one of the guards at the gates nod in their direction and say something to the other guard. They watched as Aruna and her companions approached, and halted them at the foot of the stone steps leading to the entrance.

"Hey, you," one of the guards said, his attention on Bishop, "you're that ranger who caused all that trouble a few months ago. I think we made it clear you were to stay out of the Reach."

Aruna looked at Bishop, "you got yourself banned from the entire hold?"

Bishop grimaced. To the guard, he said, "look, I don't really remember what happened. I may have had a little too much to drink at the time. I'm sober now; don't plan on bothering anybody."

The second guard scoffed, "try another one. Go on...we have all night."

Aruna sighed, "gentlemen, I understand that you're only doing your jobs, and I respect you for it. However, if you'll allow me and my companions entrance into the city, I will take full responsibility for them," she gave Bishop a meaningful look, "though I expect them to be on their best behavior during our visit."

"That's all well and good," the second guard said, "but what makes you think we'd trust you to look after them?"

The first guard nudged his partner, "idiot," he said in a harsh whisper, "she's the Dragonborn," he looked at Aruna, "forgive my friend, here; he was away on patrol for the last month and a half. He's missed a lot of the excitement around here." 

The second guard looked at her again. Aruna couldn't see his face behind his helmet, but she felt his appraising gaze.

"Is that true?" he asked, a touch of awe in his voice, "you're the Dragonborn?"

"That's what they say," she sighed.

"Then," he said, sounding a little flustered, "by all means, you're welcome here."

"And my companions?" she asked.

"I'm afraid the ranger is under arrest for trespassing," he said, sounding apologetic, "he was warned, after all."

"I understand," Aruna said.

"Wait, you what?" Bishop rounded on her, "you're just gonna let them arrest me?"

She shrugged, "well, you did break their laws. You must have done something really terrible to get yourself banned from the entirety of the Reach. Interesting how you didn't mention that part...it seems an important omission."

"That's why you're letting them take me?" he said, aghast, "because I left out a few details? Ladyship, I really am starting to regret ever meeting you."

She pressed her lips together, and he realized with indignation that she was laughing at him. She turned to the guards.

"If there's a bounty on my companion's head, I'll gladly pay it," she said.