Chapter Fifty-Two

Aruna and Bishop managed to retrieve their belongings from the inn and, with Esbern in tow, slipped out of the city unnoticed. Once again, they hired a carriage to take them back to Riverwood. Aruna paid and noticed Bishop's grimace at the mention of money. It seemed quite a lot had happened when she and Bishop were apart. She wondered if he'd tell her about any of it.

"Now that we're out of Riften," Esbern said, sitting on the bench on the opposite side of the carriage from Aruna and Bishop. "Perhaps now would be a good time to produce some evidence that you are who you say you are."

"This again?" Bishop scoffed. "Look, old man, if we weren't trying to help you, I wouldn't have risked my neck fighting all those Thalmor to get you out of there. Trust me, I'm not that noble."

"All the same," Esbern persisted. He looked at Aruna. "You say you're the Dragonborn. Can you prove it?"

Aruna regarded him wearily, her arms crossed over her chest. It had been a very long day and her patience had worn thin. "Sure. But I doubt our driver or his horses would appreciate me setting the carriage on fire."

At that, the carriage driver looked at them over his shoulder, his alarm clear on his weathered face.

"Relax," Bishop said. "She's kidding."

The driver shook his head and turned back to his horses and the road.

"There has to be some way you can prove—" Esbern began.

"Delphine told me to ask you where you were on the 30th of Frostfall."

Esbern raised his eyebrows and sat up straighter. "The 30th of...ah. I see."

"I never would have remembered that," Bishop muttered.

"I still have my doubts that you are truly the Dragonborn," Esbern said. "But no one other than Delphine would know the significance of that date, which tells me she did indeed send you. And that tells me she must believe you're someone to be trusted."

"Good enough for me." Aruna yawned.

"Once we get to Riverwood, you're getting some sleep," Bishop said to her.

She shook her head. "I've had enough of towns and inns for a while. I want to find someplace to camp. I need to be outside."

The corner of Bishop's mouth quirked almost into a grin. "Woman after my own heart."

By the time the carriage reached Riverwood, the pale gold sun was just cresting the mountains, and the townspeople were already busy starting their day. Esbern was surprisingly energetic and seemed eager to get moving. Aruna and Bishop followed him, neither feeling quite as invigorated. Aruna stole a glance at Bishop. He'd been moody and quiet for most of the trip, and she knew he was worried about Karnwyr. She wanted to ask about it, but it was clear that he was in no mood to talk. Back in the Ragged Flagon, Delvin had insinuated that Karnwyr's captivity had something to do with a deal Bishop had made for Aruna's sake. She wavered between guilt and curiosity. What kind of deal had Bishop made with the Thieves Guild? Would he actually give up Karnwyr, his only friend and companion for the last ten years, just for her? It didn't make sense.

They entered the Sleeping Giant Inn. This time, Delphine herself was behind the counter. She looked up as they approached and promptly dropped the plate she'd been wiping with a cloth. The plate shattered on the floor at her feet, sending shards everywhere. She didn't seem to notice.

"Esbern?" She sounded as if she could hardly believe what she was seeing.

"Delphine!" The old man seemed overjoyed as he approached her and embraced her. "My friend! It's been far too long!"