Chapter Thirty-Four

It didn't take long for them to locate the shop that Vittoria had mentioned. The Jewel was a new addition to the marketplace, and though the outside of the shop looked much like all the other shops, Aruna was stunned to see that the inside was breathtakingly beautiful, with high, vaulted ceilings and stained-glass windows that filtered the sunlight in through jewel-tone colors. Colorfully painted ceramic pots overflowed with flowering plants and rich tapestries and rugs adorned the walls and floors. A winding stone staircase led up to another level of the shop, its banister a filigree of delicately shaped black iron, designed to look like vines on a trellis. Sconces hung from beams overhead and were strategically placed on the walls, giving off warm, flickering candlelight. And all around where little stone podiums upon which delicate jewelry, hair combs, and circlets were artfully arranged. There were several mannequins about, each dressed in fine gowns of all different colors and opulent fabrics.

Aruna paused in the doorway for a moment to take it all in. She immediately felt grubby and unrefined amid the elegance that surrounded her.

"What are you waiting for, ladyship?" Bishop murmured into her ear from behind.

"Look at me," she hissed back at him. "I don't belong here."

"The hell you don't," he said. "You're every bit the lady any of these women are. Even more so. Don't you dare let anyone make you feel otherwise." She felt his rough fingers under her chin as he tilted her head up. "You don't look down to anyone, you hear?"

She turned and met his eyes. He was standing very close. His gaze was intense and he opened his mouth as if to say something more.

"Hello, how can I help you?"

Aruna started at the soft voice behind her and turned to see an immaculately dressed woman with dark hair swept elegantly off her neck, smiling at her.

"Uh..." Aruna coughed into her hand. "I'm..."

"This is the Dragonborn," Bishop said from her side. "Vittoria Vici's guest of honor. She needs a gown for the ball tonight."

"Oh, of course!" The woman said, her smile brightening. "We've been expecting you, my lady."

"You have?" Aruna asked.

"Oh, yes," the woman said, putting an arm across Aruna's shoulders and steering her into the shop. "Lady Vici sent word. She said anything you wanted was yours, all compliments of Lady Vici. It is her wish that you have a wonderful time tonight, and we're here to get you ready!" She turned and called through an archway, "Emilie! Aveline! Our special guest has arrived!" She smiled at Aruna again. "My name is Victoria. Can I get you some refreshments before we get started?"

"Ah..." Aruna looked helplessly over her shoulder at Bishop, who stood with his arms crossed, looking amused.

He gave her a wave. "Have fun, ladyship. I'll be right here when you're done."

As she escorted Aruna into a smaller, but no less tastefully decorated, room, Victoria leaned in and whispered, "such a handsome man. Will he be your escort for the evening?"

In spite of herself, Aruna smiled, "I'm afraid not. He's...he doesn't really enjoy events like this."

"Pity," Victoria said. "He'd be so striking, all dressed up."

Victoria's assistants joined them and they set to work immediately. Emilie and Aveline prepared a hot bath with scented oils and flowers, and while Aruna initially had misgivings about bathing when time was so short, she soon forgot her worries as she sank beneath the fragrant hot water. She closed her eyes as her hair was washed and the tangles combed out and tried not to think about Bishop waiting for her in the next room, with nothing but a wall dividing them.