Chapter Fifty

Bishop followed tracks and Karnwyr's nose as they hurried through the tunnels. They rounded a corner and surprised three Thalmor, standing at the end of a passage. Two of the Thalmor had scorch marks on their armor, and one of the two, in Justiciar armor, had a mildly burnt face as well. Bishop drew his bow, aiming his arrow for the Justiciar, who had done the same, her own arrow aimed at Bishop.

"Where is she?" Bishop demanded.

"You're in no position to make demands," the Justiciar said. "Move along or be executed for interfering in Thalmor—what is it?" she snapped this last at the soldier at her right, who had been trying to get her attention.

"Ser," he said, "this is the ranger that Justiciar Ondolemar spoke of. We're to take him in, too."

The Justiciar turned her narrowed eyes on Bishop. "You're the Dragonborn's pet ranger? I was expecting more."

"Save it, Thalmor bitch. Tell me what you've done with the Dragonborn."

The Justiciar smiled cruelly. "That's privileged information. Although I see no harm in telling you that justice was served tonight."

Bishop let his arrow fly without warning. His aim was, as usual, nearly perfect. The arrowhead sank into the Justiciar's throat, through a small gap in the collar of her ornate armor. She dropped her bow and clawed at the arrow, gasping and wheezing. The soldiers charged at Bishop.

"Fus ro!"

The invisible force came from a doorway ahead and to Bishop's right. It barreled into the soldiers just as they ran parallel to the doorway. The force lifted them off their feet and slammed them into the opposite wall. They crumpled to the ground in a lifeless heap.

Bishop ran to the doorway and saw Aruna kneeling there, her head bowed. She was breathing hard. He dropped to one knee and reached out for her. She looked at him and he was alarmed by how pale her face was.

"I really need to stop doing that for a while," she said breathlessly. She gave him a wan smile. "Oh, good. You found Karnwyr."

"What happened? What in Oblivion are you doing down here?" Bishop demanded, relief, worry, and anger all vying for dominance on his face.

"You didn't come back. I was afraid something happened to you. Listen, Bishop—"

"You are so damned stupid, I..." Bishop shook his head and pulled her close to him. He wrapped his arms around her in a gentle but firm embrace. She heard him sigh shakily into her hair.

"Bishop?"

"Just shut up a minute, will you?"

Aruna let him hold her for what seemed like a long time. She closed her eyes and rested her cheek against his shoulder, one of the metal buckles there poking uncomfortably into her skin. Gods, he felt good. So strong and solid and warm. He even smelled good. She knew they needed to get going, that Esbern was in trouble, and there was still the Brotherhood...but part of her wanted to stay there in his arms forever.

She coughed and blood splattered on his armor.

Bishop gently pulled her away from him and saw the blood on her mouth before she could wipe it away. He took her chin in his hand and tilted her face up so that he could get a better look.

"Shit! What happened to you? What's wrong?"

"Bishop, listen. We have to go get Esbern now. The Thalmor are going to get to him before we do."

"Are you out of your mind? You can't fight them like this. I can get potions. Come with me to the Ragged Flagon. You can rest there while I—"

"We don't have time!" She tried to stifle another cough, but blood spattered her hand.