Chapter Fifty-Seven

Author's note: Thank you so much for your patience, everybody!  I'm sorry it's such a short chapter, but I'm hoping to post another chapter sometime this week. 

Have a great Christmas and a fantastic week! 

It was decided that they would leave for Whiterun the next morning. Sophia left to say goodbye to the children with whom she'd become friends in the city, and to the few adults who had been kind to her. Bishop had already rented a room for her in the inn, across the hall from the room he and Aruna shared. Aruna watched Sophia head out of the tavern in high spirits and felt a bittersweet mixture of sadness and warmth towards the little girl. Skyrim had proven to be such a harsh country, and Aruna couldn't imagine a child braving the cold and the violence and danger all on her own. Even if Aruna's own parents had not always shown her much affection, at least they had been alive and had made sure she was well-cared for. It was more than many of Skyrim's war orphans could say.

"What's wrong?"

She looked up to see Bishop watching her.

She shook her head. "Just thinking. You didn't even think twice about helping that little girl, did you?"

He shrugged and looked away. "Must be your influence. I don't plan on making it a habit, so—why are you smiling like that?"

"You're a good man, Bishop."

It was the second time that day someone had said that to him. "If you say so." He picked up his tankard. "What should we do tonight? Windhelm isn't very interesting after dark. Or during the day, for that matter."

"In that case, maybe we should take up the Prince of Song's invitation to his concert tonight."

Bishop nearly choked on his mead. "You mean that bard? Isn't there a dragon that needs killing somewhere nearby? Some long lost something that needs finding in some crypt somewhere? Anything?"

She laughed. "Come on, it can't be that bad. He's a good singer, at least. He performed at Vittoria Vici's wedding."

"Yeah, right before the Dark Brotherhood tried to assassinate her. For all we know, he's one of them."

"Don't be ridiculous. I felt his hands...the man's never held a sword in his life."

"You don't need a sword to kill someone. You could use poison, for example. Or boredom."

"Bishop..."

"Why would you want to sit in a stuffy hall with a bunch of self-important nobles, listening to some pretentious idiot sing whatever it is guys like him sing? Since when is that your idea of fun, Ladyship?"

"Bishop—"

"Don't tell me this sort of thing grew on you after that ball in Solitude. I knew I shouldn't have left you alone with Casavir for that long. He'd probably love this shit."

"You're jealous," Aruna said, raising her eyebrows in surprise.

Bishop scoffed. "I am not! I just don't understand why you'd even entertain the idea of going to this stupid thing. That bard is an idiot and is also clearly after you. If you think for one second that this is just a simple invitation, princess, you're out of your mind. He wants you there for a reason."

Aruna sat back in her chair and said nothing. It had been quite a while since Bishop had called her "princess". He knew she didn't like it, but she wasn't sure if he said it now to get under her skin, or if it was just his own irritation speaking.

Bishop crossed his arms and his face assumed the stubborn glower now so familiar to Aruna. She wasn't at all surprised when he shook his head and said, "forget it, Ladyship. If you want to go and waste a perfectly good evening listening to some puss—"

She got to her feet and moved to Bishop's side of the table, where she gracefully seated herself in his lap. She slipped her arm behind his neck and began to run her fingers through his hair. Bishop stubbornly kept his arms tightly crossed in front of his chest, but Aruna noticed his Adam's apple bob in his throat as he swallowed and the slight shiver that went through him as she trailed her fingertips lightly down the back of his neck, to just beneath his collar.

"Ladyship."

"Hmm?"

"I know what you're doing. The answer's still no."

"Mm-hmm," she murmured as her lips brushed his ear.

"I mean it, Aruna. I'm not going."

"I heard you." She trailed kisses across his jawline and down his neck.

"Well," Bishop cleared his throat. "As long as we're clear."

Aruna let the tip of her tongue touch his skin and sucked ever so gently.

Bishop's arms were suddenly around her and when she lifted her head to look at him, he kissed her.

When they parted, he shook his head, his ears flushed as he struggled to keep the scowl on his face. "You fight dirty." He heaved a sigh. "All right. I'll go."

Aruna smiled. "You will?"

He made a face. "I know you're not the type of woman to be swept away by some flouncy bard with a few songs...but why take the chance?"

Aruna snorted. "Good enough for me." She put her arms around his neck and kissed him again. "I'm glad you'll be with me. It wouldn't be as much fun without your colorful commentary."

He laughed. "Oh, you can count on that, sweetness."