Chapter Twenty-Seven

A/N: Hey guys, not sure what's up with Wattpad today, so I'm sorry if this is late! I published it this morning like I do every Monday, but there were issues with the update. Hopefully, you're seeing this now!

Bishop awoke the next morning to sunlight streaming into his face. He winced and groaned as his pounding head brought him to full consciousness. His entire body felt leaden and he was nauseated, but the throbbing ache in his head was by far the worst. He rolled over, trying to hide his eyes from the sun and finally realized that he wasn't alone.

Aruna sat in a chair on the other side of the spacious tavern room, wearing a crisp white linen shirt, a black leather vest laced up at the front, soft black pants and her worn leather boots. Her legs were crossed and she was serenely polishing the blade of her silver sword with a cloth. He noticed that her hair fell in long, loose curls around her face and shoulders; he didn't think he'd ever seen her wear it like that before. She looked up when he moved and gave him a wry smile.

"Still alive, I see," she said, her voice considerately low.

He let out a grunt and blinked at her, "ughh...am I dreaming?"

Aruna raised an eyebrow, "if you were, I doubt you'd be feeling as horrible as you look right now."

Bishop buried his face in his pillow and groaned into it. He heard Aruna chuckle softly.

"Come on, you big, bad ranger," she said, still keeping her voice soft, "let's get you downstairs. One of the guards that helped me drag your ass up here gave me his own recipe for a hangover cure. He says the entire Imperial army swears by it. We'll get the innkeeper to make it for you."

Bishop sat up slowly and the entire room seemed to tilt. He closed his eyes and rubbed a hand over his face.

"Ladyship...what happened last night?" he frowned and pressed his fingers into his eyes, "I remember watching you shout that idiot off the boat...and then everything gets real hazy."

"You drank yourself stupid and then passed out," she said, sliding her sword back into its scabbard and standing up.

"I didn't...we didn't...do anything?" he looked at her blearily.

She raised her eyebrows, "just what kind of woman do you think I am?"

"I didn't mean...I...you..." he ran a hand through his hair, mussing it even more, and grumbled in frustration.

Aruna smiled, "I'm only teasing you. No, you were a little friendlier than usual, but it was rather adorable."

He gave her an unamused look, "What do you mean I was 'friendly'?"

"You hugged me," Aruna said.

"I..." Bishop frowned again, "I hugged you? That's it?"

Aruna shrugged a shoulder, "that's it."

"I didn't say anything weird, did I?" he asked. "Talos's balls, my head hurts so much I can't think straight."

"Besides singing the praises of rum and pestering me on my philanthropic ways?" she shook her head, "nothing of import."

"I could have sworn..." Bishop shook his head, then winced at the pain the sudden movement caused, "ugh. I'll take your word for it, then. Ladyship, do me a favor?"

"So long as it doesn't involve nudity, your wish is my command," she said demurely.

"Funny," he grumbled, "just don't let me drink like that again. Or at all. Ever."