Chapter Forty-One

The next day, they found themselves heading back towards Solitude with Delphine in tow. Traveling all the way back to the Capitol was enough to put Bishop in a sour mood, and the extra company only irritated him more. By the time they reached the Solitude stables, where Malborn was waiting, Bishop was in the midst of an impressive sulk.

"I hope he knows he's not getting into the Embassy," Delphine said as she and Aruna headed towards the stables, while Bishop and Karnwyr stayed with the carriage.

Aruna sighed. "He knows. Can we just get this over with?"

Malborn was inside the stables, speaking in low, soothing tones to a gray mare as he stroked her dappled coat. He was a tall, wiry elf, with dark skin and unruly brown hair that stuck up in all directions. He looked up when Aruna entered the stables with Delphine and his dark eyes darted between them nervously.

"Were you followed?" he asked.

"Of course not," Delphine said, her voice reassuring. "I told you, we're safe here."

"Safety is a relative thing," Malborn muttered. He looked Aruna over. "This is her? The Dragonborn?" He frowned. "She doesn't look how I expected."

Aruna raised an eyebrow. "And what were you expecting?"

"I don't know. Someone more...heroic. You look like some adventurer who's seen too many miles of rough road. And you know what happens to adventurers in Skyrim"

"No," Aruna said, amused. "What happens to adventurers in Skyrim?"

"They die," Malborn said soberly. His gaze flicked to Delphine. "Are we really going through with this?"

"Yes," Delphine said firmly. "Trust me, Malborn; she's tougher and more resourceful than she looks."

Malborn still looked doubtful. "My life is riding on this."

Delphine remained patient. "I've seen her take down a dragon, Malborn. And then absorb its soul. She's the real deal."

The Dunmer looked at Aruna with new interest. "Really?"

Aruna shrugged. "I know; it's weird. But we all have our quirks."

A hint of a smile played at the corners of Malborn's mouth, but it was gone as quickly as it had appeared. "Well, I guess we'd better get started. What do you want me to take to the Embassy for you?"

Aruna handed him a set of black leather armor and soft leather boots that she'd borrowed from Delphine, her throwing knives, and her sword.

Malborn raised his eyebrows. "Is this all? You don't want any healing potions or poisons or traps or anything?"

"I'd bring an army if I thought I could sneak them all in through the front door," Aruna said wryly. "But this will have to do. The less I bring, the fewer things you'll have to smuggle."

"I appreciate that," he murmured as he stowed her meager gear into an empty leather pack; the sword, he concealed beneath his cloak. He slung the pack over his shoulder and looked at Delphine. "I'll head up there first. The party is this evening, so there's still some time until then. You should find her something more appropriate to wear."

"Already taken care of," Delphine said. "Thank you, Malborn. The Blades are in your debt."

"Yes, well, I'll think about collecting on that debt if I get out of this with my head," Malborn said. He nodded to Aruna. "See you there, Dragonborn. And, remember; we've never met."

Aruna nodded and Malborn headed outside, muttering to himself about crazy schemes and about making stupid promises. Delphine handed Aruna a bundle of clothing, with a pair of fur-lined slippers sitting on top.