Chapter Thirty-One

A/N: Hey, guys! For the next couple of weeks or so, I'll be posting two chapters a week; one on Monday, and one on Thursday. This schedule will likely be temporary, but I might do it again in the future. You are all awesome!

The next morning found Bishop in a better mood. He'd fallen asleep at the wooden table in his room at the tavern, repairing his arrows. He awoke to an empty room, but the blanket over his shoulders told him that Aruna had been there at some point during the night. He wondered what she'd needed that would make her come to his room so late. He idly hoped he hadn't slept through any interesting propositions. He also wondered if she'd gotten any sleep at all.

He stood and stretched, rolling his neck and shoulders to work out the stiffness there. Today was the day of the wedding. He'd have to find something to occupy himself with while Aruna was busy performing guard duty under the guise of a wedding guest. He made a disgusted noise. Were all heroes obliged to do whatever was asked of them, without reward or regard for their own desires? If that was the case, he didn't envy Aruna. He didn't think he could do what she did, without complaint or argument. It made him wonder how she took to her status the way she had; she was a wanderer like him, after all. There were times when he could practically see the tension come over her when she was around other people. He couldn't understand how someone could feel responsible for another person, especially people she didn't even know. She owed them nothing; why did she continue to do whatever was asked of her? Wasn't it enough for these people that she was risking her life to get rid of the dragons for them?

Bishop shook his head. He didn't know why he was getting so worked up. It was her life, after all. She could do as she chose. She didn't need his approval, and he certainly wasn't about to give it.

He went downstairs to the tavern, which was just as crowded as the evening before. Bishop grumbled to himself as he weaved through the patrons. He didn't see Aruna anywhere in the tavern, nor did he see the paladin. A muscle in his cheek twitched as he thought of them together. He wasn't sure he'd be able to keep himself from picking a fight with Casavir again, although he had promised Aruna he would try.

Outside, the streets were once again crowded, although now people were dressed in their finery, and excitement buzzed in the air. The wedding was only hours away, and everyone seemed to be in a jovial mood. Bishop sighed heavily as he pushed his way through the crowd, searching for his companion. He was just beginning to think he'd missed her somewhere when he spotted her coming from the direction of the smith. She wore a fine set of steel armor, fitted to her frame and gleaming in the sunlight. The helmet she carried beneath her arm completed the set. He watched her as she walked down the street and people made way for her. For the Dragonborn. Her face was stoic and her gaze distant. Then she spotted him and her expression softened into a smile.

After a few seconds, Bishop realized he was smiling back.

"What do you think?" she asked as she approached him, spreading her arms so that he could see her new armor better.

"You look very heroic," he said with a grin.

"Let's just hope it's functional," she said, dropping her arms. "From what Beirand told me of the man who commissioned this, he was more concerned with aesthetics than he was with survival. But Beirand also said that he never sends out anything he wouldn't wear himself, so we shall see."

"Wanna go test it out on some dragons now?" Bishop asked, only half-joking.

Aruna cocked an eyebrow wryly. "Don't tempt me. I thought I could handle the crowds for a couple of days, but already I feel like I'm being suffocated. Is it just me, or do all of these people make it seem much warmer inside the city gates than it is outside?"