Chapter Eighteen

"And after that, you and I will have a bath," purred a woman in the most seductive tone Aruna had ever heard, "just imagine it. I know I am...are you so tan everywhere, I wonder?"

"Why does everyone keep trying to get me in a bath?" Bishop's voice floated back to Aruna. She would have turned and gone back the other way to leave him to his business, but something in his voice sounded all wrong. His speech sounded slurred and confused. Aruna frowned and crept closer.

"Perhaps they, too, want to see you bare," the woman said, "but I think only I will have that pleasure today."

Bishop laughed drunkenly, "you're very forward, aren't you? You know, this usually takes a little more...effort on my part."

Aruna peered around the side of the guardhouse and saw a beautiful dark-haired woman in a revealing dress pressing herself against Bishop, who was, in turn, pressed against the back of the building. He was frowning down at the woman and his eyes were glassy.

"I...think I need to go," he said, his words sluggish, "I need to check on...on...ugh..." He raised a hand to his head.

"Your companion doesn't miss you," the woman said, her voice as smooth as silk, "she refuses to give you what I'm offering you freely. And she could never pleasure you like I can."

"Mmm," Bishop murmured, "I don't feel so great...my head..."

"You'll feel wonderful in a moment, darling," the woman promised as she leaned in to kiss him.

"Fus!"

The woman shrieked as she was thrown several feet. Bishop was hurled back and landed on his side with a grunt. Aruna ran to his side and helped him to his feet.

"I'm so sorry about that," she said, carefully prodding his sides and arms for injuries, "are you all right?"

He gave his head a shake, still looking a little disoriented and brushed her hands away, "y-yeah...I...what happened?"

Aruna drew her sword as the other woman shakily got to her feet. The woman's face contorted in rage.

"How dare you!" the woman snarled at Aruna, "I should tear your throat out for that."

"Well, what are you waiting for?" Aruna asked, her voice calm, and her expression stony, "what the hell did you do to him?"

The woman smirked, and it was only then when Aruna noticed that the irises of her eyes were blood red, "he's mine, girl. They are all mine, and soon, you will be too."

"Alva!"

They turned to see Hroggar approach them from the road. He frowned at Aruna and Bishop.

"Alva," he said to the dark-haired woman, "you shouldn't be out like this. You need your rest. Are these people bothering you?"

The woman, Alva, stalked past Aruna and Bishop, holding Aruna's gaze challengingly. Aruna made a move toward her but Bishop pulled her back.

"Easy, ladyship," he murmured, "can't have the whole town come down on us."

Alva walked up to the red-haired man and planted a kiss on his cheek, then shot Aruna a pointed look, "don't worry, Hroggar. We were just talking. Come, let's go home."

"Of course," he said, glancing at Aruna and Bishop again. He looked bewildered but allowed Alva to lead him away.

Aruna turned to Bishop, who was rubbing his head.

"Are you all right?" she asked, "what did she do to you?"

"I don't know," Bishop said, frowning, "one minute, I'm pissing under a tree, the next minute, that woman's got me up against the guardhouse," he looked at Aruna's face, "come on, ladyship, if it were voluntary, I'd just tell you. I'm not gonna lie about it. Unless..." he grinned, "you're jealous?"