Chapter Twenty-Five

Aruna was only mildly surprised to find that most of Jack's crew were already either drunk or passed out aboard the ship. Jack motioned for her and Bishop to follow him to the Captain's quarters. A couple of crew members sat on the floor of the deck and playing a card game; one stout with pale, wispy blond hair, the other a little leaner, with a full beard and dark hair tied back at the nape of his neck. Both men leered at Aruna as she passed. Bishop kicked over one of the bottles of ale that sat beside the blond man, spilling the ale on the deck.

"Oi!" the man yelled, glaring up at Bishop.

"Keep your eyes on your cards or it'll be your blood I spill next," Bishop growled.

"What did you say?" the bearded man clambered to his feet.

"Now, lads," Jack said, clapping a hand on Bishop's shoulder. Bishop immediately shrugged it off. "Let's show our guests some hospitality, eh?"

"I won't let some milk-drinking Nord threaten me on my ship," the bearded man snarled.

A sudden hardness came over Jack then. It seemed to transform him into an entirely different man. Gone was his easygoing nature and drunken swagger. His eyes went very dark and a muscle in his cheek twitched. The crewman seemed to realize his mistake just a moment too late.

"Ah...beggin' yer pardon, Cap'n," the man said, his eyes wide, "I didn't mean—"

"Whose ship is this?" Jack's voice was low and dangerous. Aruna and Bishop exchanged glances.

"Y—yours, sir," the man stammered.

"And who is the captain here?" Jack asked.

"C-Captain Jack," the crewman said.

"Aye," Jack glared into his crewman's eyes, "the both of ye, clean up this mess. I want this ship spotless by the morn."

"Aye, Captain," both crew members mumbled contritely.

"And show some respect, lads," Jack said as he turned and headed for his cabin, "we've the honor of being in the presence of the one and only Dragonborn, herself."

Both of the crewmen stopped picking up bottles to stare at Aruna again, this time for an entirely different reason. She ignored them and followed Jack to the Captain's cabin. Bishop lagged behind, glaring warningly at the two men.

"Apologies, lass," Jack said as he ushered them inside his quarters and shut the door, "Mads and Gavin are good men, truly, but it's been a while since they've been around a woman. Makes a man forget himself, y'see."

"Uh-huh," Aruna said, "then it's best they remember themselves quick while I'm aboard. I haven't the patience for that sort of thing."

Jack smiled at her as he took a seat at a sturdy wooden table and motioned for Aruna and Bishop to do the same. "After seeing you bring down that beast with me own eyes, I'd wager ye can handle a couple of drunk sailors. Now, what's yer preference? I've all manner of spirits, ales, wines—"

"The lady's partial to spiced wine, if you've got it," Bishop said.

"Mads!" Jack called.

After a few seconds, the door of the cabin opened and the blond crewman stuck his head in the room, "captain?" His eyes fell on Aruna; he quickly looked away.

"Bring some spiced wine for the Dragonborn," Jack said, "and some of that rum for the gentleman here," he grinned at Bishop, "he looks like he can handle it."

"The stronger, the better," Bishop said, "I'm hoping to wipe out my memory of the last few days."

"Enough rum and ye won't remember yer own name," Jack promised.