Chapter Twenty-Six

A/N: Double upload today (chapters 25 and 26)! Enjoy!

After they pulled Ra'faar back onboard, things began to calm down. Many of the crew had again reached the point in their drunkenness where consciousness was no longer under their control and found places to lie down or just fell over where they stood. Even Jack had nodded off beneath a table on the deck. Only Cyrus, Aruna, and Bishop were still somewhat alert, and Cyrus was sitting in a corner, contentedly playing a card game with imaginary gamblers and humming to himself.

Aruna joined Bishop on the aft deck, where he stood looking out at the serene waters of the Sea of Ghosts.

"Hey," he slurred as she leaned against the railing, facing him, "having fun, ladyship?"

She smiled, "not as much as you, from the sound of it. How much did you have to drink, anyway?"

He scoffed, "what are you, my mother?" he snickered, "my mother...she would have hated you. You're prettier than her and you could kick her ass. Too bad I can't..." he hiccupped, "introduce you."

Aruna laughed, "you are so drunk! I think you're further gone than when Alva—"

He shuddered and held up a hand, "no, not thinking about that tonight," he held up the half-empty bottle in his hand, "that's what this is for." He leaned closer to her and she could smell the alcohol, heavy on his breath, "want some, ladyship? I've got plenty and you sound too sober."

"No, thanks; I've had enough to drink for tonight. Do you, uh, need to sit down?" Aruna asked. He was swaying on his feet and looked as though he might topple over any second.

"You first," he grinned at her, "I'll sh-sit on your lap...or you can sit on mine. Heh heh."

"Oh, this is going to be fun," Aruna muttered. She smiled up at him, "Bishop, tell me something about you that I don't know."

He frowned and narrowed his golden eyes at her, "something you don't know..." His face brightened, "I was a bandit. You didn't know that."

Aruna raised her eyebrows, "you were a bandit?"

"Yeah, for a while," he gazed at something over her shoulder, his brow furrowing as he tried to focus, "glad to be out of it." His eyes fell on her again and he shrugged, "not as fun as it sounds."

"Hard to imagine you as a bandit," she said, "you don't seem to enjoy working with other people that much."

"I like working with you," he said, "and you're people. Well, sort of. Soul of a dragon, body--a very nice body--of a woman." He staggered to one side and caught himself on the railing. He laughed.

Aruna chuckled and reached out a hand to steady him, "you like working with me, huh? That's not just because you think I have a nice body, I hope."

He peered at her blearily and frowned, "Imma tell you something...when we first met...you remember? When you poisoned me?"

"Bishop, I did not—"

"Shhh. Just listen for a second," he leaned a little closer to her, "I thought you would be like the other...other women. I thought I'd sleep with you and that's it. But you..." he shook his head, "you were...nice. I mean...no. Not nice. You were...you're..." he sighed, exasperated, "I just...I like you. I want to be around you. A lot. Your smile...your laugh...I like how I can just...talk to you."

Aruna looked at him, unsure of what to say, "Bishop..."

He shook his head again and straightened, "I am drunk."