#32: When the Cat's Out

Me:
Is it possible to die of anxiety?

I looked over my shoulder as soon as I sent the message. Leo pulled his phone out of his sweater's kangaroo pocket, then looked up at me with raised brows from his seat as if to ask, Seriously? While in class. I shrugged. Hey, desperate times and all that shit.

He was not amused, but he started replying anyway.

Dork (aka the Boyfriend):
Breathe. Everything will be fine.

Me:
You don't k ow that. I don't know that!!

Me:
*know

Dork (aka the Boyfriend):
I know it, babe. Stop stressing. You'll get accepted. If not, I'll follow you to whatever college you go to.

We've had this discussion before, and somehow it always gets here: where Leo would throw away his football scholarship at one of the best colleges in the state on the off chance that I don't get into his college.

High school graduation was about a month away, and I was still waiting for a reply to my application. My parents can't quite get why I was stressing over getting accepted into the same school as Leo, and I can't say I blame them. I was still insistent on keeping our relationship a secret. But lately, I've been thinking about telling them. It has been four months since we got together, and I think our parents are getting suspicious that we're dating someone. Just not the who.

Me:
We're continuing this later.

And continue it we did. In Leo's car as he drove me home since mine was currently in the shop for a change of tires.

"You know how I feel about you giving up your scholarship for me, Leo," I grumbled half-heartedly because the way he had one hand resting on my leg was distracting me. Especially with the little thumb rub he does.

"And you know how I feel about you stressing over this so much," he replied, raising his brows at me again though he kept his eyes on the road. "It's not healthy, babe. Plus, I told you, I'm confident you'll get in. Trust me."

I sighed. "At this point, I just want any type of letter from them. Just put me out of my misery!"

Leo chuckled when I dramatically flung myself at the passenger side door, pressing my face against the window with an exaggerated pout. "My girlfriend, everyone. The drama queen herself."

I gave him the stink eye. "Hey. You love me."

"Unfortunately," he nodded

The look of mock misery on his face made me giggle. Giggle. I swear Leo made me a hundred and ten percent more girly when I'm with him. Leaning over the center console, I patted the hand on my thigh and kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

His mouth twitched upward.

A few minutes later, he pulled into my driveway, and we both headed into my house, my hand twitching with the effort to not reach for Leo's. It had become second nature really, and it took a lot to repress my girlfriend instincts around our families.

We had just stepped through the door when mom and Aubrey rushed towards us looking extremely excited, while dad leisurely walked behind them.

"What the-" mom cuts me off by shoving an envelope under my nose.

When I saw the sender's address, my heart started thundering in my ears, threatening to jump right out of my chest. With trembling hands, I reached for the envelope and I felt Leo's arms slide over my shoulders then down to my arm where he gave a squeeze. It helped calm me down some.

I swallowed, then tore open the one side of the envelope before slipping out the folded paper. With a deep breath, I unfolded it and began to read. My chest squeezed almost painfully as tears sprung in my eyes.

"She got it..." Leo breathed right next to my ear as he was looking over my shoulder. He looked up to my waiting family. "She's in!"

Mom and Aubrey squealed in delight, hands clasping as they jumped up and down while dad grinned proudly, arms crossing over his chest.

Without thinking, I turned and flung my arms around Leo's neck as I pulled him down, and planted his lips against mine. As his hands settled on my waist, I hear Aubrey somewhere in the background.

"Oh, shit."

***

HAPPY BIRTH DAY TO MY BROTHER, JM~

The kid turned ten today (Dec. 7), and I couldn't ask for a better bro, really.

Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this update! Sorry for taking so freaking long~ I have no excuse except for I had an affair with procrastination.

Love you guys!
DG

* * *

ATTENTION: If you are reading this story on any other platform other than Wattpad you are very likely to be at risk of a malware attack. If you wish to read this story in it's original, safe, form, please go to https://www.wattpad.com/user/awkward_tumbleweed

Thank you.