Chapter 9

Logan rode the elevator down for the third time, second time with Sherry. It creaked and rumbled on its way down, causing him to shake a little due to being nervous. He looked down at his feet, then up at the ceiling.

"Almost halfway..." He said, soon to be interrupted by the overhead voice.

"Welcome back to another pivotal night of your thriving new career, where you get to really ask yourself, what am I doing with my life? What would my friends say, and most importantly, will I ever see my family again? We understand the stresses of a new job, and we're here for you. To help you reach a more stable and relaxing frame of mind, we offer several musical selections to help make this elevator ride as relaxing and therapeutic as possible. We offer contemporary jazz, classical rainforest ambiance as well as a wide selection of other choices." It said.

He sighed and chuckled a little. Sherry was silent still.

"Using the keypad below, please type the first few letters of the musical selection you would prefer."

The small keypad was glitchy as usual and when Logan typed on it, it didn't respond well.

"It seems you had some trouble with the keypad. I see what you were trying to type, and I will auto-correct it for you. Thank you for selecting: Casual Bongos."

The light drum of bongo drums played in their ears as their decent continued.

"Now that your elevator experience has been customized to your needs, and you're thoroughly relaxed, it's worth mentioning that due to your lackluster performance yesterday, your pay has been decreased by a substantial amount. Please enjoy the rest of your descent."

"You've gotta be kidding me..." Logan sighed sadly.

"You weren't getting paid that much anyway." Sherry said as she patted his back.

The two of them then entered the main office, as usual. Nothing was out of the ordinary.

"Due to unforeseen malfunctions from today's shows, your nightly duties will require you to perform maintenance that you may or may not be skilled enough to perform. It became necessary for technicians to attempt to disconnect Funtime Freddy's power module. However, they were unsuccessful. Allowing them to try again would be an inefficient path forward, as we would need to allow six to eight weeks for recovery and physical therapy. You will need to reach the Parts and Service room on the other side of Funtime Auditorium to perform the procedure yourself. Let's check on Ballora first, and make sure she's on her stage." The AI explained.

"What did he mean by recovery and physical therapy?" Sherry asked worried.

"I think it's best not to think about it." Logan replied, now feeling more nervous than before.

Logan flashed the light and saw an odd sight. Ballora was there, but all her parts were separate and held up by, well something weird. Something Logan hadn't seen before. They were these odd little...Puppets. 

Logan could feel his heart beating fast. "Puppets...they look like...like..." He said nervously.

"Like you did." Sherry said a matter-of-factly.

He shuddered.

"Great, it looks like everything is as it should be in Ballora Gallery. Let's check on Funtime Foxy. It's important to make sure she's on her stage before entering." The AI said.

Logan lit up Funtime Foxy's stage.

She wasn't there.

"Great, it looks like everything is as it should be in Funtime Auditorium. There is no need to check on Baby tonight; please refrain from entering unauthorized areas. Proceed directly to Funtime Auditorium."