Chapter Four

On the Monday after, I stepped in the gates of Monteverde Academy, to be intercepted by Klaus. He was holding a pack of Hershey's Kisses on both of his hands.

I smiled. Ah, the joy.

"You liar." I shook my head at him and stole the pack from his palms. "You said you only wanted to play for an hour. Why, we ended up going home at seven."

"Sorry." Klaus scratched his head and laughed sheepishly. "I guess I made it last for five hours..."

"Good game, though." I opened the pack, unwrapped a chocolate, and dunked it straight to my mouth. "Yum!"

"Yeah, our scores were almost matching up." Klaus laughed. "Only, I was fifteen points ahead of you."

"Who cares?" I closed my eyes and felt the sweet tingle of chocolate melt in my mouth. "This chocolate was all that I was after."

"You really are addicted to Hershey's chocolate," Klaus noted. "Ever since junior high. Junior frigging high..."

"Anyway, it feels good that we finally finished our Statistics project." I sighed deeply.

"Yeah." Klaus nodded. "We are a formidable duo, after all."

We bumped fists.

Just in time, we caught sight of Tana, who just stepped in the gates. I glanced back at Klaus, and it seemed as he paused from the fast-paced ways of the world. His eyes were shell-shocked and his mouth was gaping at her figure. I understood; she was adorable, after all. She was a short, slim sort. She sported long, straight hair that she always tied in a half-ponytail. Her skin glowed with a slight tan. Her face possessed the most amiable features: round eyes, button nose, and small lips.

The aforementioned adorable girl bestowed us a look.

I waved breezily at her. As for Klaus, he was too red to even react.

She waved back and smiled.

I am excited to tell her about my weekend...!

Before I could even approach her for that, she sped off.

That was when I knew: something was bothering Tana Fallore.

~o~

It did not help that the moment Klaus and I stepped in the classroom, Venice intercepted us and dragged us all the way to the rooftop.

It took me a while to process what was going on. The sun's mild rays enveloped the entire rooftop, which sprawled with various forms of ornamental plants. Klaus and I shifted uncomfortably on one side; Venice strode back and forth on the other side, with hands on her hips and a disgruntled look on her face.

"Venice," I began, after what seemed like a painful while. "What is going on?"

"You should thank me," Venice spat. Her long, curly hair whipped rebelliously with the wind. Her fair skin glinted faintly in the sunlight. Her eyes were fierce. Her lips were glossed with pink. Eloisa understood that Venice was pretty, and she felt obliged to remind her friend that wearing lipstick was against the school rules, but she decided to shut up this time. Venice definitely looked like she was about to chew them out.

"For what?" Klaus asked cluelessly.

"This!" Venice tossed us several photos, which slid to the floor in front of our feet. Klaus and I picked them up and scrutinized them.