Chapter Seven

Admit it, odd wheelers out there: you don't like feeling left out in the company of a mushy couple, but you hate it when they don't get along.

It all started on the Monday after Ate Nat and I hung out. For whatever reason, I felt a little more confident after that. Sure, she bought me a set of fashionable shirts, blouses, and accessories. That was not the real deal, though.

I finally had my hair cut to my shoulders!

Okay, it may not seem like a big deal to you, but it is to me. I used to have long, wavy hair, see. Just recently it started looking shitty. You know – split ends and dry shafts and all. However, Ate Nat accompanied me to the parlour (her idea), and the parlour girl made the best version of my hair that I have ever witnessed in my entire life. I swear, when I came out of the parlour I almost didn't recognize myself. My hair was actually neat and smooth. The layers were amazing, too. I almost had a crush on myself.

Almost.

That was why when I stepped in the academy, I felt like a supermodel. Awesome hair, tanned skin, and towering height. Okay, never mind the fact that only a critical minority of the people looked at me. I knew I was not Ate Nat. Still, that didn't matter, because my hair was snipped in the most marvellous way.

At first, I thought that my day was going to be perfect. Because Venice intercepted me along the way and gazed adoringly at my new 'do.

"Wow." Venice's eyes sparkled with wonder. "Ely, you look so pretty."

"Thanks." I flashed her a casual smile.

"You really are my idol!" she exclaimed. "You have the looks, the height, and the voice to boot! You should seriously be noticed more often."

"I am not quite friends with the spotlight, though," I said. "Except in my singing demos for the Song Club, I deliberately avoid attention. Not because I'm too insecure to handle it. It's simply not my thing."

"I see that." Venice nodded. "Otherwise, you won't be hanging out with us. I'm not saying that we're uncool, though. Our group is pretty much average."

"Anyway." I observed Venice, because somehow, something didn't sit quite right with me. "Where's Vince? You usually go to school together..."

"Let's go," Venice urged, a little too quickly. "We might miss first period Physics."

Right then and there, I knew that Venice and Vince had a fight.

~o~

When recess struck, I persuaded Venice to accompany me to the loo. She consented. Right after we got there, I asked her if she and Vince were okay.

True enough, she started ranting.

"I hate him!" Venice interjected. "Friday was supposed to be our date! However, some childhood friend of his showed up. I was expecting a few conversational exchanges, but no. She chatted him like mad. She did not leave until we all had to go home! Worst of all, Vince never introduced me. How dare him."

Ah, I thought. One of Venice's many jealousy fits. I am not surprised.

"I felt like a third wheel at that time." Venice rammed her fists against the sink. "ARGH!"

As much as I wanted to ask her what being an odd wheeler felt like in her perspective, I decided that it was a little too mean.

"Calm down," I cooed her, and smoothed her back. "Vince must have not seen his childhood friend for a long time."