Chapter Five

If there is anything that most fifth wheels agree on, it is the fact that they often agree to hang out with a couple...only to regret it afterwards. Still, they keep doing it anyway.

For instance, that time when our entire circle of friends agreed to hang out in karaoke after school. Klaus and Tana walked with arms barely brushing against each other, while Vince and Venice held hands while being unnecessarily smoochy. As for me, I had to be the one who walked behind them in lone glory because apparently, the sidewalk was too narrow to tolerate me walking side to side with two pairs of couples.

Bonus tip: being a fifth wheel means that you need some sort of embarrassment-saving device. Personally, my favourite devices are my phone and earpieces. Because honestly? I couldn't relate to anything that these people were talking about, and I hated looking like a sore loser who gaped at incomprehensible air. Honestly, these devices were one of the most significant reasons why I still managed to look cool even when I was the odd one out.

In the karaoke, I was the first one who volunteered to sing a song. Venice and Vince were too busy being lovey-dovey with each other to even care. Klaus didn't seem to want to be disturbed from his PSP game. Tana was too busy looking at the menu, with glistening eyes and hungrily-smacking lips. I almost jumped out of my skin when she suddenly pushed the bell. A waitress came in, and Tana pointed at several food orders, which probably priced at about 200 pesos in total. For once, Venice actually paid attention, with the most dumbfounded expression on her face. I shrugged.

This is Tana Fallore, after all, I mused. She doesn't spend often, but when she does, she spends on food – and she spends hard.

As for me, I positioned myself in front, with eyes on the TV screen and microphone on hand. I snapped, then started to sing.

"Kiss me out of the bearded barley

Nightly, beside the green, green grass

Swing, swing, swing the spinning step

You wear those shoes and I will wear that dress, oh..."

I winked at the audience. Venice screamed. Vince laughed and scooped her in his arms.

"Kiss me beneath the milky twilight

Lead me out on the moonlit floor

Lift your open hand

Strike up the band and make the fireflies dance

Silver moon's sparkling..."

"Slay, girl!" Venice roared triumphantly. I laughed and shook my head.

"So kiss me."

"Wow." Vince shot me a look of amusement. "It seems as if you are singing for someone."

"Who knows?" I gave him an amiable shrug, then bobbed my head and my microphone-holding hand to the beat of the song.

"Ely sung the song for me." Venice pounded her chest with pride. "She is my idol, anyway."

"I never knew you wanted Ely to tell you to kiss her, though," Vince joked.

"That's not what I meant!" Venice screamed. "I am just being Ely's number one fan. Nobody is going to surpass me."

"I agree with that," Klaus muttered, his eyes still fixated on his game.

"If only I knew that this was going to happen days before, I could have prepared an Ely is Heart poster!" Venice exclaimed. "Such an opportunity wasted..."