Leo x reader

Day two of Angst.

Apparently I'm not dating anyone anymore?

But I just discovered one of my closest guy friends had a crush of me on 7th grade which is a weird way to end the year if you do ask me.

I'm tired of relationships– I want to stay in eternal peace and the freezing cold of where I currently am. Jk I hate the cold.

Song of the chapter: Demons- Imagine Dragons (one of my favorite bands)

~

Title: Demons

Warnings: Angsty, deep, minor swearing, not really romantic because it would be considered a dick move if I did that

Date: December 16th, 2017

•|| Your POV ||•

"Hey, should we go?" I beckoned my best friend– Leo, who seemed to be having a hard day. He blinked, glancing up at me.

"Huh, what?" He asked gazing up at me. My thumb jerked towards the direction to the Pavilion. Campers were already gathering around the tables, speaking loudly. The smell of food wafted through the camp, making my mouth slightly water. After a whole day of training, who wouldn't want dinner?

The sun was setting on the west, casting various warm hues onto the sky. I got lost looking up into the sky for a minute. The beautiful colors contrasting against the darkening sky...

"Yeah, um, let's go." He tugged my arm, not really finding the energy to run. It was weird, his humorous disposition seemed to have dissipated into thin air. I followed the elfish boy, thinking about how lucky I was to be in this camp, to be around the biggest jokester (along with the Hermes boys) in camp.

I separated from the boy as he headed to the Hephaestus table. I went to sit with my half-siblings. I greeted them, proceeding to walk over and sacrifice some part of my food to my godly parent.

I glanced behind me, catching Leo's pointed stare. He looked away the moment my eyes met his own. I went back to my seat, chewing my food thoughtfully.

What's wrong with Leo? He's not himself today. He's distracted, serious, and everything unlike he usually is. I... hope he feels better.

My brother waved his hand in front of my face, returning me to the world of the living. I nudged him, warning him not to do that again. After dinner, I tried to locate where Leo was. He apparently left dinner early– his siblings don't know where either, but the most logical place was Bunker 9.

His solace from the outside world. I usually didn't bother him while he was tinkering away. Now, in this case, I was worried for him. To be completely honest, I always fell like his humorous facade was a coverup for his demons inside. I want to help him embrace them. He can't run away from them, he has to look them in the eye and resist against them.

I trudged on the grass, trying to remember where Bunker 9 was. When I was sure of the direction I was heading in, I knocked on the door.

No answer. My heart pounded against my ears. I slowly slid the door open, stepping inside the disorganized workshop. Scrap pieces of metal were everywhere, wrenches, tools in general, and Leo was in the middle of all.

His face was turned towards the other way, yet he sensed my presence. "Why are you here?" He croaked out, not wanting to cast me a glance.

"Because I'm worried about you." I cleared my throat. "You weren't yourself today."

"Wrong. I am myself right now. I just never showed you this side of me." He bitterly replied. "I didn't want you to know because you deserve a better best friend than the real me."

"What? That doesn't make sense! You'll always be my best friend!" I approached him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I'll never leave you in the dust."

After a few silent minutes, he started sobbing silently. I stayed by him, as I tried my hardest not to sniffle. I didn't trust myself not to cry at that moment. The air around us was previously tense, and after Leo started sobbing, it felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.

"...Thank you. Thank you for everything." He hugged me, not wanting to let go. I stayed silent. I didn't know what to do.

It always seems like fictional characters know the hang of comforting someone in a hard time. It's not like that. It's more confusing and doing what you feel is right. Personally, in this instance, I feel like I should hold him forever. Not let him go.

"I guess I owe you an explanation," he commented after a while.

"If you don't want to, you don't have to tell me."

"I want to." He breathed, letting go of the embrace. I did too. He pulled out two tall stools under the work table and sat in one of them.

"Ever since I ran away from there, I've visited endless foster homes. None wanted me. They were torture, never helping me heal. Slowly, those troubles of mine grew to me being a troublemaker. Most people would expect me to cope already, so I instead hid behind my humor. They've been here all along- I just didn't want you to see me that way."

I glanced down. "I would still be friends with you even if you had shown me before. After all, we're supposed to take care of each other."

"Well, yeah– but I felt insecure. Didn't want to show how flawed I am." He pressed his lips into a thin line, staring off to space.

"Everyone has demons, Leo. Some have less grave ones, but mostly every hero has demons on top of them, taking in more when people perish or reject them. We just have to embrace them and accept them to our identity. We can't run away from them, they will always be there."

"I'm sorry to ask, but, what are your demons?" He looked into my eyes, taking my hand into his. I seemed to recall a few low moments of my life, some that I never wanted to divulge, but nonetheless, he told me his, he should know mine.

"My past is one of my demons. Being put up for adoption the moment that I arrived on the doorstep wasn't one of my best moments. Granted, I was a disgrace, but the gods didn't let me be put up for adoption. They had to take me in. I was their main cause of distress. They were my cause of distress."

"Oh, I'm sorry." He mumbled, tapping his foot gently on the floor. We still had ADHD.

"It's fine."

"I guess we're very similar after all," he smiled, the grin not reaching his eyes.

I've learnt to embrace my demons, not letting them take me too far. Have you?