How Long is Too Long

Artemis POV
Batman made up a cover story for us and sent us into the detention center so that we could investigate the "Princes of Juvie." That's all he gave us. He was unable to figure out who it is. He believes that the lack of issues coming from the center is because these Princes are planning a breakout and want to stay under the radar so have calmed the center. Bats thinks in opposite ways and recognized this so here we are.
It was about two am when I heard a scream. It was quiet and muffled. All my other teammates were asleep. There were no other screams. Either we were too late or... "Shhh, it's okay," Wally's voice sounded from the cell over. "I...I w-watched them d-d-die again," the voice she recognized as Dick's whimpered. "It's okay Baby, you're safe, I promised years ago that I would protect you," Wally whispered. I peaked through the bars and could make out two figures that I assumed were Dick and Wally's sitting on the singular bed in their cell. "Just go back to sleep," Wally encouraged. They fell asleep cuddled into each other's arms.
The Next Morning
No POV
     "Wake up," a loud voice yelled down the hall of cells. Aqualad stood up confused, "What is going on?" "Breakfast time," Dick said from the cell over. Dick and Wally were standing behind the bars of the other cell. Wally stood behind the younger and had his arms around the boy. "What is for breakfast?" Mgann asked, generally excited. Wally chuckled, "Whatever they could find in the dumpsters for us." "Dumpsters?" Kaldur questioned. Dick nodded as the cells opened automatically, "Yeah, no one cares about us in here. Once in no one cares until you leave at eighteen, that is if you get out at eighteen. Sometimes they don't even let you out and just transfer you to prison with no second chance. Or chance at all in our cases." The team joined the two boys and started moving down the hallway.
     "So, we heard some rumers," Artemis said, trying to work the case. "About what?" Wally asked curiously. "Well, outside of this place people talk about two kids called the Princes of Juvie," Mgann said cheerfully. Dick started laughing, "That's what they call us?" Superboy rose an eyebrow, "Us?" Wally snickered, "Yeah, the two people they're talking about is myself and Dick. We hadn't realized our reputation was that vast." "We thought you would be older," Kaldur said shocked, "According to rumors you've been here for a long time." Dick sighed, "That's because we have been here a long time. How old are we by now Wally?" "You're fifteen which makes me seventeen," Wally said after a moment of pondering, "So that makes it seven years." "Seven years?!" The team cried out shocked. "You wanted to know how long...that's how long," Dick said and the two left the team behind them flabbergasted.

How Long is Too Long

Please Comment What You Think So Far!