Chapter 7

17 July 1965

ADALINE'S POV

I managed to avoid Paul and much as possible, I still didn't have the guts to tell him. Though I was almost five months pregnant with his child and I knew he'd find out eventually, I'd rather have that happen later rather than sooner.

Maureen was now almost a month a half away from her due date. She and Ringo were beyond excited to have the baby arrive. Pattie had given us the idea that Mo and I should have our baby shower together. The two of us both agreed, we'd invite both of our friends and family (minus my mother-she's not supporting me during any of this..) and just throw it at her house.

"Does it get any better as it goes on? I'm constantly dizzy and the smell of everything nauseates me.." I said to Mo as I sat back on the couch.

"You'll get over the nausea. Soon you'll just deal with constant kicking all the time. Just wait until you feel the first kick, you'll feel so much love." She said, running her hand over her stomach.

"Come on, let's get things started!" Pattie yelled as she handed both of us one of our gifts.

Mo opened up hers first. She had gotten so much from everyone, mostly boy clothes. Everyone felt that they were having a boy. Once she was done with hers I opened up my first gift to see a yellow and blue onesie as well as many other things.

"Oh my gosh, Mere, this is so cute! I can't wait to have the baby wear this. Thank you." I said as I hugged her tightly before setting her gift with the others.

Lily then smiled and handed me hers. "I know this is probably a sore subject, but did you tell him about the baby yet?"

I shook my head, running my hand across my bump. "No, I don't know if I even should. I've hardly seen or spoken to him since that night. I mean I can't just walk up to him and say 'Hi Paul, we just met a few months ago and I hardly know you, but you didn't use any protection that night and I'm pregnant'."

"You're what?!"

I knew that voice, it was the one person I feared the most at the moment. Paul. I looked up at him to see him staring at me. The look in his eyes was a mixture of anger and confusion.

"Adaline, other room, now," he said to me before rushing in there.

Ringo looked down then at me. "I'm so sorry.. I completely forgot about it all.." He said as he walked over to Maureen.

"It's fine, Ringo, please don't apologise. I should have done this a while ago. I'm sorry..go on without me, I'll be back." I told everyone as I slowly stood up and went down the hallway to find Paul in the guest bedroom.

"How could you not tell me you're pregnant with my child? This is why you've been avoiding me, isn't it?" He practically shouted at me.

"I-I'm sorry.."

"You're sorry? You've been hidin' the fact that you're carrying my child from me and all you can say is sorry?" He was quickly getting more fired up. I didn't expect for him to react like this.

"Well if you forgot, the morning after we had sex I found out that you and Jane were together. Paul, I felt like a bloody idiot after that. And on top of that, finding out a was pregnant and that it was yours just added more fear to it. I couldn't go tell you and risk breaking up you and Jane, I see the way you look at her.."

"Jane and I ended things not too long ago.." The tone of his voice started to calm down more as he looked down at me. "How far along are you?" His eyes then moved down to my stomach as he lightly placed his hand on it, rubbing it.

"Seventeen weeks.. I'm due on Christmas."

"I can't believe I'm going to be a dad.."

I pushed his hand off of my stomach as I stepped back. "If you forgot you made a fool out of me, McCartney. Took me out on a date, made love to me, then the next morning have Jane catch us and you say that it was all a mistake. I had every right to hide this from you. As the mother it is my choice to say if I will allow her father to be in her life or not."

Paul shook his head and gave me this understanding smile. "Adaline, I don't want to argue with you, love, it's not good for the baby. I'm just going to go, I'll stop by yours later and we'll talk more about this." He then kissed the top of my head lightly before going to say goodbye to Ringo and leaving.

~~~

PAUL'S POV

Stepping outside of Ringo's house and let out a loud sigh. She's pregnant? With my child? I couldn't believe it.. I got in the car and made my way over to John's.

"What's up, Macca? Yer lookin' out of it."

"Yeah.. Ye know how Adaline's been distant and hasn't come around us for a while?"

He looked at me confused. "Yeah, what about it?"

"I saw her today.. Mate, she's seventeen weeks pregnant with my kid. I didn't use anything that night and now I've got a bun in the oven."

His eyes widened as he turned and looked at me. "Ye what? Macca, what are you gonna do? Do you even want to be with her?"

"I do like her. She's beautiful and wonderful bird."

"Don't tell the others I'm sayin' this, I don't want them thinking I'm soft or anything. I've been in your shoes, kinda. When Cyn told me she was pregnant with Jules I'll admit I was scared a bit, but havin' him is such a blessing. I couldn't imagine not being a dad."

"Awe, Lennon, you are a big softy."  I said with a smirk as laughed a bit. He shoved my shoulder and rolled his eyes.

"Anyway.. I know your situation is a bit different, but I just thought that could help you. You've talked about wanting to settle down and start a big family and this could be yer chance."

"You're right. It's unexpected, but I do want to have a big family. This is just my opportunity for it to start. Thanks, mate."

"'Course. I'm here if you need me, Dad." He laughed. "Knowing you I feel like it's a girl."

"Why do ya say that?"

"'Cos you're sassy like a woman at times. And I know you'd be that dad and spoil her."

I just smiled and left. I went home for a few hours, letting this all sink in before going to Adaline's.

"Come on in." She said, opening the door up for me.

I came inside, sitting down on the couch as she sat next to me.

"Are ye sure you want this? I don't want you to be with me because you feel pity for me."

"I do. It may not have been expected, but it happened and this is my life now. I always wanted a big family and this is my chance to settle down like the others." I said as my eyes wandered over to her stomach. I slowly rested my hand on it, running my fingers over it. "Baby's healthy?"

She looked at my hand, not responding for a moment before she looked up to me and nodded. "Yes, very. He or she growing on track. I'm excited to have them arrive so I know which it is."

I looked back down at her stomach for a moment as a wide grin grew on my face. "It doesn't matter to me what we have as long as they're healthy. I can't believe it. I'm going to be a dad."