Chapter 31

14 July 1967

PAUL'S POV

I woke up to hear the peaceful sounds of the farm. I decided to take Adaline and Mady up to Scotland for a little get away. We had gotten in late last night, so today will be full of exploring. I looked over to see Addie still asleep and Mady starting to wake up.

"Daddy!"

"Good morning princess. We have to be quiet, mummy's still sleeping." I carried Mady out to the living room, setting her on the couch as I went over to make tea. "Are you hungry, baby girl?"

"I hungry!" She got up and walked over to me, holding tightly onto my leg. "Where mummy?"

I picked her up, setting her on the counter. "Mummy's still sleeping."

She nodded lightly and I began to make breakfast. Soon I heard footsteps as I looked up to see Adaline.

"Good morning you two."

"Mummy!"

"Good morning, my beautiful girl!" She said, going over to pick up Mady. "Did you and Daddy make breakfast?"

"We did. I hope you're hungry." I walked over and kissed her deeply.

"I am." She kissed me back as the three of us sat down for breakfast.

After we finished eating, the three of us took a walk around the farm. Both Adaline and Mady seemed in awe over it all.

"I still can't believe you own this.." Addie said as she looked around.

"WE own this. We also have another home back in Sussex. You're going to marry me in a couple weeks, so what's mine is yours, love."

"You have a home in Sussex too?"

I chuckled lightly as I pulled her to me. "Again, we do.. We'll go there soon. Maybe we can spend Christmas up there."

"I'd love that."

Soon we went over to the barn as Mady saw a small group of sheep. She looked at them and then at me. "Daddy!"

"That's a sheep, sweetie." I said as I walked over to her. "You can pet her, she's friendly." I began to pet the sheep as she did the same. Once the sheep began to make noise, Mady pulled away and hid behind me. I picked her up as she held tightly onto me. "It's okay darling, you're okay.."

"Why don't you play with your toys for a while?" Addie suggested to Mady as she nodded.

"Otay Mummy.."

I put her down as we watched as Madelynn ran off with Martha. Adaline started to follow them but soon turned around.

"Love, are you coming?"

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked up at her. "Huh? Oh, yeah."

She walked back over to me, intertwining our hands as we went over to watch Mady play with Martha. "What's on your mind?"

"Nothing. I'm okay love."

She gave me the look, knowing that I was lying to her.

"I've just been doing a lot of thinking.."

"What about?"

"About you." I let out a sigh. "About what I did to you. I left you alone with our baby. I stopped you from going to university like you wanted. I was the reason you moved away. I held you back.. I held you back and I feel so guilty for it. I feel like I don't deserve you, you shouldn't be with someone like me.."

"Hey.." She pulled me closer to her as she wrapped her arms around my neck. "I know our past was a bit rough. Things happened out of order and it scared us both a bit. I'm not upset with you anymore for anything of it. You made a mistake, it's okay. So what if I didn't go to university? I'm happy being a mum to that beautiful little girl and I've been working on my writing in my spare time. You did not hold me back.." She then kissed me deeply. "And I want to be with you.. Paul, I love you and I can't wait for us to finally start our life together.."

"I love you too.." I kissed her again and pulled her to me. "I can't wait until you become Mrs. McCartney."

She smiled at me. "Only a few more weeks until then."

We both kept smiling at each other until we felt someone grab onto our legs. "Mummy.. Daddy.."

"C'mere." I bent down and picked Mady up. "Why don't we head inside for your nap?"

She laid her head on my shoulder, giving a light nod.

"Let's head inside." I took Adaline's hand as we all went back to the house. I guess things are going to work out after all.