Chapter 41

16 July 1968

PAUL'S POV

A little over a day ago Adaline had started having contractions. Over a week late from her due date, but finally it was time. Or so we thought. We've been at the hospital for almost a day and no baby yet. She's been laying in bed in pain this whole time and nothing's happened. Seeing her like this is completely breaking me, did I really put her through this?

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm bloody exhausted.." She grumbled.

"I didn't think this was supposed to take this long."

"It's not...It feels worse even though this is our second, I don't even remember when Mady was born because of the accident. I jus-" She stopped mid-sentence as she squeezed my hand. Another contraction. "I've been having contractions for lord knows how long. The baby's still not here. Can you please go talk to the doctor? I don't understand what's taking so long.." She gave me a panicked look. "Paul, what if something's wrong? W-What if something happens to the baby and it's all my fault?"

"Addie, love, none of this is your fault.." I cupped her cheek. "Just relax, I'm going to go talk to the doctor."

She gave a small nod. I went out into the hallway to find her doctor.

"Doctor Newman? May I have a word?"

"Of course. What can I help you with, Mr. McCartney?"

"Paul, please. It's just I don't understand, what's going on? Addie's been in labour for hours and nothing seems to be happening. Should we be concerned?"

"Your wife is experiencing prolonged labour which more or less means failure to progress. Since she had an emergency cesarean for her first pregnancy her body isn't used to regular labour. We can go to her, I can check to see how dilated she is and we can discuss what we may have to do from here."

"Yes, please."

The two of us walked in to find Addie leaning over the bed, mumbling to herself about the pain.

"Mrs. McCartney?"

She looked up to us.

"Paul voiced his concern. I want you to know that this isn't abnormal, so you're not alone. I'm going to check and see how dilated you are. To try to move this along first we'll try the more relaxing ways of getting your uterus to ripen. I'd suggest talking a walk or try laying on your side. If nothing happens from there, we'll go with the medical option. Then if need be we'll do a cesarean."

"Alright, thank you, doctor."

"You have no worry to reason, Mrs. McCartney. These type of things happen." He gave a reassuring smile. "If you need anything don't hesitate calling one of the nurses."

"Thank you again."

With that he left as I turned to Adaline who had this look of disgust on her face.

"I am not having a cesarean again.."

"Addie, love, if none of this works then you'll have to." I sat on the edge of the bed and held her hand. "I'll be with you through it all."

"I already have horrid stretch marks. I don't need another gross scar to add to it.."

"If you do end up having one I'll love that scar. It'll show how you put your body through this for nine months to provide us with a child. You might hate it, but I'll love it."

She smiled and held onto my hand tightly. "Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

"A few times, yeah." I said with a smirk. "Now come on, let's go walk a bit."