Chapter 24

24 November 1966

I was making breakfast while Isaac was getting ready for work. Mady was sitting in her high chair eating hers already.

I felt arms wrap around my waist as I turned to see Isaac. "Good morning, love."

"Morning babe. Breakfast is ready."

He quickly ate and had his morning cup of tea as he turned to me. "Don't forget we have dinner with your brother and Lily tomorrow."

"I remembered. And Alex is coming up to watch the baby." I smiled and reached for his tie. "Let me fix your tie."

"Thank you Addie.." He leaned in, gave me a kiss and then gave Madelynn one. "I'm going to work. I'll be back for lunch."

"Have a good day, babe. I'll see you and lunch."

He walked over, giving me a kiss before kissing the top of Madelynn's head. "Love you girls."

"We love you too."

For the rest of the morning Mady and I hung around the house. Meredith and I spoke on the phone for a while, and for the rest of the time the baby and I just played.

Hours passed and soon Madelynn became fussy, wanting her lunch.

"Come on, baby girl. Let's get you fed." I picked her up and walked down the hall to the kitchen when I heard a knock on the door. I made my way to the front of the house and opened it to see two policemen there.

"Can I help you, officers?"

"Adaline Mitchell?" The one asked me.

I nodded lightly.

"We're sorry to inform you that Isaac Ellis was in an accident. He died on impact. Again, we're so sorry."

Tears began to fall from my eyes and all I could do was nod as the officers went back to their car. I set Madelynn down with her toys as I picked up the phone and called Meredith.

"'Ello?"

"Mere.."

"Adaline! How have you been?"

"C-Can you come up here for a few days please..?" I asked, trying my best not to cry.

"Yeah, I can be there. Is everything okay?"

I went silent for a few seconds. I didn't know if I could say it out loud.

"Addie?"

"Isaac died..I can't be alone right now.."

"Oh my gosh.. I'll be up soon. Just hang in there."

"Thank you.."

And with that, we both hung up. A few hours later she arrived. I opened the door and she quickly hugged me.

"I'm so sorry.."

"Thank you for coming.."

"Oh my, look how big you've gotten." She said, picking up Madelynn and bouncing her lightly. "If it's okay to ask, what happened?"

"He left this morning to go to work.. it was like any normal day. He said he was coming home for lunch so I waited. Then I heard a knock at the door and two policemen were there. They told me that he was in a car accident and died on impact.." I let out a loud cry as I held my head in my hands. "I never got to say goodbye.."

She sat down next to me and rubbed my back. "I know..but he knew you loved him. You two made each other so happy. I'm glad you two ended up getting back together."

"I just don't know what to do. I can't go back to London, I love it here but I'll have to find a job and a sitter now. The downside of being here is that I'll thinking of the accident. I don't know where else to go.."

"I think it's best for you to just stay put for right now. I feel that if you tried to move during all of this it would be too much. I'll stay with you as long as I can and I know the others will come here too.." She said as she held my hand.

I laid my head on her shoulder and nodded lightly. "Thanks Mere..somehow I'll get through this.."

————
I cannot apologise enough for how late this is. My father just passed away and so writing this chapter was very difficult. I will try my best to post again soon. Thank you again for reading.