Chapter 43

6 September 1968

ADALINE'S POV

The last few months had been rather eventful. The lads have had some issues in the studio—more disagreements and Ringo quit for a bit before rejoining. I've been working on my second book, as per my publisher who is very ready to release it even though I'm not even halfway finished. And adjusting to life as a family of four has been, well, interesting..

Since we had Matthew, Madelynn's been having a hard time adjusting to having a baby brother. Between not being an only child anymore and going through the terrible twos, she was not happy..

"Where's Matt? Where is he?" I quickly uncovered my eyes and looked down at him. "There he is!" He let out a small giggle as Paul sat down next to us.

"How's my little man doing? You being good for yer mum?" He said as he picked the baby up.

"Now he is. Early he was all fussy, but now we're okay."

"You're getting so big, little man! You're Daddy's strong boy!" He laid Matt back down on his blanket as he tickled his stomach.

"He looks so much like you when he laughs."

"Just like how Mady is like your little clone." Paul looked over to Madelynn who was across the living room playing with her toys. "Come 'ere, darling. You can play with your brother."

She just stared at him for a moment before going back to her toys.

"Mady, love come over here with us and the baby."

She shook her head and turned her back to us, going back to her toys.

He got up, went over and picked up Madelynn. "What's wrong, darling? Why don't you come play with us?"

She looked over at Matthew and shook her head. "Baby.."

"What about the baby love?"

"I no like him.."

"Why sweetheart?"

"I the baby.."

"You'll always be Mummy and Daddy's firstborn baby. Because of you we became a Mummy and Daddy." I looked over at her. She fussed in Paul's arms as he set her down. She then ran into the other room as we let out a sigh.

"This is fun.."

Paul ran his fingers through his hair anxiously as he turned to me. "How did your parents do this with you and Alex?"

"Well, Charlie was already born. He helped calm Alex down a lot."

"Maybe we need to do more things for her. Should I take her to the toy store again?"

"Darling, you've taken her there at least four times in the last month.."

"I know.." He shook his head and sat down next to me. "There has to be something.."

I rubbed his back lightly as he reached over and picked up Matthew. As soon as Paul went to speak we heard a loud cry coming from Madelynn.

"Darling?" I stood up and rushed to the other room, Paul following behind me. "Madelynn?"

"She has to be upstairs.." We both went upstairs to look in her room. Passing the nursery we found Madelynn laying in the baby's crib crying.

"Madelynn." I went over and picked her up. "Sweetie, what's going on? Did you climb into the crib?"

She continued to cry, sucking on her thumb as she buried her face in my neck. "I baby.."

"Oh, my little baby.." I rubbed her back and looked over at Paul. "I think I'm going to take the baby into our room and we can take a nap and she can cuddle with Mummy."