Chapter 14

14 November 1965

PAUL'S POV

It had been almost three weeks since Madelynn was born. Since then Adaline has barely left the hospital. She sits and watches the baby almost all hours of the day. Never wants to go home, barely wants to sleep. I agree that I'm a bit nervous by all of this, but I'm trying to be the positive one. I know that the baby will be able to come home soon. Adaline needed to take some time before she stresses herself out too much.

"Addie, love, why don't we head home for a little while?"

She shook her head, not taking her eyes off of Madelynn. "I can't, someone has to stay here with her."

"You've been here since you had her and have barely slept. I talked to Charlie and Lily, they said they'd stay with her so you could sleep at home for the night."

She turned her head, giving me this hesitant look. "I don't know.."

"It'll just be for the rest of the night..we can come back tomorrow morning. You just need to get some sleep. I don't want you getting sick and then both of my girls will be down."

She looked between the baby and I then nodded. "I guess I could use a night at home.."

I kissed her cheek and pulled her to me. Soon Charlie and Lily walked in.

"'Ello 'ello, how are ya little sis?"

"I'm alright."

"And how's my little niece?" Charlie asked as he walked over to her. "I know I've said it before, but she's a beautiful little thing."

"Thank you.." Addie said with a small smile. "And thank you for watching her for the night."

Lily sat down in the chair next to Madelynn. "We're happy we can help. You two just go relax, we'll call you if we need you."

Adaline kneeled down and looked at the baby. "Mummy and Daddy will be back in the mornin'...we love you, baby girl."

I took her hand as we went out and headed home. I carried our bag inside and turned to her. "You must be tired. Why don't you go lay down and I'll make us some lunch?"

"I should call the hospital and see if she's alright." Adaline said as she quickly went over to the phone.

"Addie, we just got home. The baby's fine. They'll call us if something happens."

She looked up at me before quickly looking down.

"You need to relax..this has been causing you so much stress." I said as I walked over and wrapped my arms around her. "Why don't I draw us a hot bath?"

"A bath sounds wonderful.."

"Meet me in the bathroom in five.." I kisses the top of her head and went upstairs.

Not long after she joined me as we both laid in the bath to relax.

"Thank you..I really needed this."

"You're welcome love. You've had a stressful few weeks. The baby will be home soon and things can go back to normal."

She gave a small nod as she laid back against me and closed her eyes.

Moving her hair to the side I kissed her neck. "We haven't had some time to us for a long time.."

She began to pull away from me and looked as if she was about to get out of the bath. Pulling her closer I looked at her. "Hey hey.. What's wrong?"

"I don't think we should.."

"Why not? What's wrong?"

"I look horrid.." She said with a unhappy tone. "I haven't lost much of the baby weight yet. And I have this grotty scar from the cesarean."

"You do not look horrid, don't say or think that." I kissed her lightly. "I know you may not like the scar, but to me it shows what you put yourself through to give us our daughter."

"Thank you..but still, I don't know if I feel up for it." She then stood up, getting out of the bath and wrapping herself in a towel. "I should probably call the hospital and check on the baby."

With that she quickly left the bathroom, leaving me alone. Letting out a sigh I laid back in the tub and shook my head.