Chapter 13

26 October 1965

ADALINE'S POV

Tonight the lads were being award their MBEs. I was beyond proud of them. While the four of them were out, the rest of the girls and I decided to have a girls night at the Lennon's.

Pattie turned off the telly and turned to the rest of us. "So, what should we do now?"

Cyn shrugged. "We could go out into the town for a while."

I stood up and grabbed my purse. "I think I'm going to head out. I'm getting pretty tired."

"You're not driving, are you?" Mo asked.

"Oh no, Paul's driver will get me. It's getting too difficult for me to drive anymore." I said with a chuckle as I ran my hands over my stomach.

"She'll be here before you know it."

"Have a good rest of your night, Addie." Cyn said as she came over and hugged me.

"Thank you for having me over. See you all soon."

With that I went out to the car as Paul's driver took me home. I looked out the window at the city as we drove. Turning the other way I saw headlights coming at us. Before I could do anything, everything went black.

PAUL'S POV

After getting our MBEs I had gone with John back to his. I remember Addie saying she was spending the evening with them while we were out.

"Cyn! Love, we're home!" John yelled as we walked inside.

Cyn made her way over to us as she kissed John. "Hello, handsome." She then looked over at me with look of confusion. "Paul..what are you doing here?"

"What do you mean? I'm here to get Adaline.."

"You didn't hear? She had your driver take her home. On their way a truck hit the car and she was rushed to the hospital. Mo left not too long after Adaline did, she saw the whole thing and called me."

I felt myself slowly go numb. John turned to me as he walked over to the door.

"Come on, I'm driving you to the hospital."

The two of us went out to the car and rushed to the hospital. Upon arriving I quickly ran inside and went over to the nurses' desk. "I need to know what room Adaline Mitchell is in."

"Sir, if you can just hold on for a moment." The nurse said to me as she waved a doctor over to us.

A doctor came over to us and took me down a hallway. "Mr. McCartney I'm sorry to say that you can't see Ms Mitchell at the moment, but if you can follow me."

"Wait, where are we going? What's wrong with Adaline? Why can't I see her?" I asked angrily.

"With the condition Ms Mitchell came here in we had to do a caesarean section and deliver your daughter." He took me into a private room. I walked inside to see a baby laying in an incubator. My baby. My daughter. She was so tiny.

I sat down next to it and smiled. "Madelynn.. Hi baby girl, I'm your dad.."

"I'll let you have some time.. And someone will let you know when you can see Ms. Mitchell." The doctor said as he left.

I couldn't stop staring at Madelynn. I'm officially a dad now. Tears slowly began to fall from my eyes. I've never felt this much emotion before.

I'm not sure how much time passed as I watched her. The doctor allowed me to see Addie for a bit, but she was still unconscious. Soon a nurse walked inside and looked at me. "Mr. McCartney, there are visitors here for you."

I stood up and walked out to the hall to see everyone here. "Hi..thank you all for comin'."

Ringo looked at me nervously. "How's Adaline..?"

John looked me over me and shook his head. "Ye look like a bloody mess, Macca."

"Why don't you all come with me? They put her in a private room, I'd rather talk there.."

They all followed me as we went into her room.

"She arrived in bad shape. She's still unconscious from the accident."

The girls all took a seat in chairs around Adaline's bed. Cynthia looked her over and then turned to me. "She's..oh my gosh, did she loose the baby?"

"No, no. They had to do an emergency caesarean . I'm officially a dad.." I said with a weak smile.

"Congrats mate!"

"So was it a boy or a girl?" George asked.

"A girl. She's beautiful..and so tiny.." I said as small tears fell down my face. "Right now they have her in a separate room in an incubator since she was so early."

"What name did you both decide on?"

"Madelynn Mary."

Adaline slowly began to open her eyes. Quickly I went over to her, taking her hand in mine. "Addie, love.."

She squeezed my hand lightly. Soon I saw her face drop as she turned to me. "W-Where's the baby? What happened?"

"Love, calm down.." I kissed the top of her head. "You were in a little accident. The baby's alright. She's in her own room."

"She?"

"She."

"So it's Madelynn."

I smiled and nodded. "We have a daughter."

Looking up I saw that the doctor walked in. "Ms. Mitchell, I see you're awake. I feel bad to ask your visitors to leave, but we need to talk to you and Mr. McCartney about some things in private."

George nodded. "That's not a problem. Bye mate, bye Addie. We'll see you later."

"Good luck, keep us posted."

"We will, thanks everyone." And with that they all left.

The doctor turned to the two of us. "I'm glad to see you awake, Ms. Mitchell. Since your daughter was born early we need to keep her here for a while. I also want you to stay for a least a week so we can monitor you as well."

"Can I see her? Please, I just want to see my baby.." She practically begged.

"I'll get you a wheelchair and Mr. McCartney can take you down to her."

Once the doctor brought the wheelchair I took Addie down the hallway and into where Madelynn was.

As soon as she saw the baby she began to cry, holding onto me. "She's so beautiful but so small.. I feel to blame for this."

"Love, none of this is your fault. The driver that hit you is to blame for this.."

"Paul, I'm so sorry.." She said as she continued to cry.

I kneeled down in front of her as I wiped her tears away. "You don't have any reason to apologise.. You have given me the most beautiful little girl. I love you both so much.."