Chapter 44

14 October 1968

ADALINE'S POV

"Come on, Mummy! Let go!" Mady yelled as she tugged on my dress.

"One minute, sweetie. I just have to get your brother adjusted in his carriage." I said as I laid Matthew down. "There we go. Now we can go."

I took Madelynn's hand as the three of us began to walk to the park.

I looked ahead and saw the diner. I hadn't been there since after Isaac's funeral. Should I stop in? I barely spoke to Jack since the funeral, but I mean, he did almost become by father-in-law if not for the accident. And he was my boss.

"We're going to make a stop before the park."

"Mummy? Where go?"

"We're going to stop in and see a friend of Mummy's real quick." I told her as we entered the diner.

"Hi, there. Take a seat wherever yo-Oh my gosh! Addie!" Nora yelled as she rushed over from behind the counter. "I haven't seen you in so long!" She pulled me into a hug.

"It's so good to see you, Nor! It's been too long."

"Mummy.." Mady pulled on my dress.

"Come here, darling." I picked her up. "This is Mummy's friend Nora. Can you say hi?"

"Hii!! I Madelynn. I this many!" She yelled, holding up her fingers.

"You're almost three, love. Only a little bit more until your birthday."

"I can't believe she's this old now! I remember when she was a baby."

"That Matty!" Madelynn exclaimed, pointing to the carriage.

"I thought I heard you had another baby!" Nora went over and picked Matthew up. "Hi there, little guy. Oh, Addie, he looks so much like Paul."

"He really does. This is our little Matthew James."

She rocked him lightly and smiled at me. "Look at you being super mum. These two must keep you and Paul busy."

"Oh, they really do."

"Adaline."

I turned around to see walk out of the back.

"Hi, Jack. It's been a while. I hope you're doing well."

"I'm always at the diner so I'm good. I see you got married and had another one."

"I did." I smiled lightly. "It's nice to see you again after everything."

"I'm glad that you're here actually. There's something I have for you." He went into the back, coming out a minute later with a large box. "Ginny and I were going through more of Isaac's things and here's just some little things she thought you'd like to have. I've been wanting to give this to you, but wanted to wait until you came in."

I slowly ran my hands over the box. What all could be in here? I went to go open the box before stopping myself. "I should probably wait to open all of this..May I swing over later today or tomorrow to pick it up? I don't think I could carry that and the kids."

"That's fine, I'll put it in the back. Stop by whenever you can and just walk back there." He picked up the box and turned to me. "He did love you, you know."

I gave him a sad smile. "I know..I loved him too."

He then proceeded to go into the back as I turned to Nora. "Well, I think we better be getting to the park. It was so good to see you..You need to come over one night soon."