Chapter 29

19 May 1967

PAUL'S POV

I was on my way to Charlie and Lily's to see Addie and the baby. I didn't expect myself to be this bloody nervous. I mean, I haven't seen my daughter in over a year, she probably doesn't even recognize me. I'm still surprised Adaline is letting me see her. Hell, I'm surprised she's even considering taking me back after I was such an arse to her.

Pulling into the driveway, I parked the car and went to the door.

"Morning." Adaline greeted me with a smile. "Come in."

I walked inside and looked around. Little Mady sat in the middle of the living room, playing with one of her toys. I couldn't help but smile as I watched her.

"Paul.."

I shook my head and turned to Adaline. "Yeah?"

"You can come into the living room."

She then walked over to the baby as I followed behind her.

"You having fun with your toys?"

Madelynn nodded as she stood up and turned to Adaline. "Up!"

Addie picked her up as she laid her head on Adaline's shoulder.

"She's gotten so big.." I say, not taking my eyes off of them.

"She has. It's been amazing to watch her become her own little person." She stood up and walked into the kitchen. "Can you bring her in here soon? It's just about time for her to eat."

"Sure, love." I went over to Madelynn and picked her up. "Well good morning, baby girl." I smiled at her as she looked at me and started crying. Letting out a sigh we went to the kitchen as I looked at Adaline. "She's afraid of me.. My own kid cries when I pick her up. I guess I deserve that."

"It's just been a while. She'll get used to you again soon." She said as she took the baby from me and sat her in the highchair.

"Yeah. I deserve this though."

Adaline just looked at me sadly as she fed Madelynn. Once she was done, Mady went running into the living room. I went after her, sitting on the couch.

"She's a hyper little thing." I said with a smile.

"She is. She's always running around, trying to find somewhere new to adventure."

"Oh, I have something for you. I almost forgot." I go into my pocket and pull out a necklace with a ring on it, handing it to her. "You left this at mine a few days ago."

She quickly took it from me as she put it around her neck. "I was afraid I lost this..thank you so much for bringing it back. I would have felt so guilty if I would have lost it."

"It's important to you then?"

She gave a small nod as she looked down. "This was the engagement ring Isaac had bought for me.. He was planning to propose before..." She went quiet as tears began to roll down her face. "I'm sorry..it's still just hard to talk about."

I pulled her close to me as I wiped her tears away. "No need to be sorry. I understand, love. He was a wonderful man who did what I couldn't at the time."

Adaline held tightly onto me as the two of us sat there and watched Mady play for a while. Addie was right, she's her own little person now. I've missed so much..

"Come.."

I snapped out of my thoughts to see Madelynn tugging on my pants. "Come me.."

I looked at her as Adaline smiled at me. "She wants you to play with her."

I turned back to Mady, she wrapped her hand around my finger as she pulled me over to her pile of toys. Sitting down by her I looked at all of her toys.

"What do you want to play, darling?"

She held up her dolls as I took one from her. I sat there watching her. I couldn't believe how much she had grown since I saw her last. She looks so much like Addie.

After playing with Mady for a while, the two of us dropped her off at Addie's brother's and made our way to the party.

ADALINE'S POV

The two of us had just arrived at Brian's for the launch party. Paul was quickly pulled away by John, leaving me to wander around.

"Adaline?"

"Hi Rings! 'ow are ya?" I said as I hugged him.

He hugged me back as he gave me a surprised look. "I'm doing well. I don't mean to sound rude, but what are ye doing here?"

"I came with Paul."

"With Paul? So you two are talking again?"

"We ran into each other a few nights ago. One thing led to another and now we're kind of talking again. Part of me feels guilty. It hasn't been long since Isaac was killed, maybe I'm moving on too soon! I shouldn't be here.."

I was about to walk away when Ringo grabbed my arm. "Addie.. Listen, you're here for a reason. I know it's only been a few months since everything happened, but you've been lonely and needed something to cheer you up. I know you miss and love Isaac, he knew that too. I also know that he'd want you to be happy. If being with Paul again makes you happy then I think it's what you should do."

"Thank you, Rings."

He smiled back. "Brian's calling me over. I'll see you in a bit."

I just gave a nod and continued to wander around. After a while Paul was free and the two of us sat down to have a drink.

"Tell me more about this new record. The name's rather unique. The whole concept is much different than your past albums." I say. "Lonely Hearts Club Band.. What inspired that?"

"Just different parts of life."

"So are you saying you're a lonely heart?"

"Without you I have been.."

I look away for a moment, contemplating what I want to say. "Well you don't have to worry about that anymore, I'm not leaving."

"W-What? What do ya mean?" He asked me surprised.

"I love Northampton, but my family and friends are here. I think we're going to move back."

"You can move back in with me!"

I turned to him, his face quickly went red.

"I mean, if you want to.."

"I'd love to. I think it'd be good for the baby too."

He smiled and pulled me in for a kiss. Maybe this'll all work out.