Chapter 8

29 July 1965

PAUL'S POV

Since Jane and I had broken up, Adaline and I have become closer. Though I wasn't expecting the news I heard from her, I knew I had to do what was right and be there for her. Also I could finally be the family man I always hoped to be one day.

Tonight was the Help! movie premiere and I invited Adaline to come with me. Recently Brian had me make the announcement that we're expecting a child. The fans took it as a shock, but hopefully they'll be supportive.

I had just finished getting my suit on as I watched Adaline stand in front of the mirror. Coming up behind her I put my hands on her waist and my head on her shoulder.

"You look beautiful.. That dress really shows off your bump. I can't believe how big the baby already is."

"I agree. Am I the only one who's nervous about tonight? Paul, I don't want yer fans to get upset by me.."

"If they're our true fans then they'd be happy for me. You two are my life now and the fans have to accept that."

She turned to me, taking my hand and sat down on the bed. "Paul, I need to know the truth. Do you really even like me or are you only with me because you got me pregnant? I want the brutal, honest truth. I know what you said the day I told you, but I want to make sure."

"Addie, love, look at me. When we met I thought you were one of the most beautiful birds I had met. Yer talented, unique, beautiful, and much more. You have been on my mind since the day we met. I regret what I said that morning with Jane, I wish I could take it back.. I wanted to be with you for a while, but I had to figure out how to break it to Jane." I pulled her into my lap as she laid her head on my shoulder and looked up at me. "Our little one may not have been expected and people may think that this pregnancy is the only reason we're together, but who cares what they think? Pregnant or not I want to be with you."

"That means so much to hear you say that.."

"And I mean it, love. You two are my priority now." I said setting her back on the bed as I went over and put my shoes on.

"Paul, Paul come back here."

I walked back over and sat down on the bed next to her. "What is it, love?"

"I felt her move.. Do you want to feel?" She asked me nervously.

"Can I?"

She then took my hand and placed it on her stomach. Laying back I held her, keeping my hand on it. The two of us laid there for a few minutes until the baby kicked again. I couldn't believe it. That was my child. "That's our baby.."

She smiled at me as we heard the honk of the car horn.

"The car's here. Come on."

Taking her hand we went downstairs and out to the car.

"'Ello mate! Adaline." John said.

"Hello mate. Addie, this is John's wife, Cynthia."

Cyn smiled and shook her hand. "It's nice to see you again. How are you doing? You're looking well."

"It's nice to see you again too. I'm doing well, we just felt her kick for the first time." Adaline said proudly as she looked at me.

"Did you? Oh that's wonderful! I remember when I felt Julian kick for the first time. It's such a proud moment."

Adaline and Cynthia kept talking about women things. I looked over at John as he kept eyeing her. I shook my head as we made our way to the venue.

~~~

ADALINE'S POV

Once the movie premiere was over Paul had dropped me off at the house. It was late so I quietly opened the door and walked inside. Meredith sat in the living room with a book in her lap and looked at me.

"Well, I see you came home. I expected you to still be with him."

"I told you I'd be coming home after the film was over."

"I'm just saying I'm surprised, I thought you would've slept at his."

"Well I didn't." I shrugged at her and went up to my bedroom. Getting out of my dress I changed into my pajamas and went to the kitchen.

"So what all happened tonight?" Meredith asked as she came walking up behind me.

"I just got ready at Paul's then we went to the premiere. That's about it. Oh, and we finally felt the baby kick. Paul was so excited." I said as I smiled widely and rubbed my bump.

"Oh I bet he was." She said as she rolled her eyes and went and sat on the couch. I grabbed my glass of water and followed her.

"Okay, did something happen while I was gone? Is everything alright?"

"Being honest, I'm just nervous about your situation. I don't want him messing with your heart and only being with you because he feels bad."

"He told me today he wants to be with me, pregnant or not."

"How do you know he's telling the truth? You know he's a ladies man and a player. Ringo's even told you that!" She exclaimed at me as she stood up.

"Is it that wrong for me to want to be with the father of my child?" I asked as I stood up as well. "Yes, all that crap happened. But when I told him about the baby, he had already broken up with Jane." She went to go speak again, but I quickly cut her off. "Mere, please. When I found out I was pregnant I realised it's not just about me anymore. My little one has to come first. I have to do what's best for him or her and what that is having both of her parents around. Paul hurt me, I get it, but I'm not going to hold a grudge and keep my child away from her dad. I know that some people may not like him, but I'm just doing what I have to for them." I then rested my hand on my bump as small tears began to form in my eyes. "Though I don't show it, this all is hard on me, okay? I know he could only be with me until the baby arrives then just give me money to take care of them so he doesn't have to help, and I also know that I probably seem foolish for being with him, but I just want to feel happy for at least a few seconds. My life is not at all going as I planned, being honest I'm beyond scared to have this baby. I guess I'm just trying to do what I think is right at the moment, because who knows what will happen next.."

Meredith looked down as she pulled me over to the couch and sat me down next to her. "I-I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to upset you. Ye just have to understand that I'm worried about you.. I don't want him to hurt you more than he already has."

"I appreciate you being concerned. I'm sorry for crying and letting all of that out."

"That's okay. I've been watching you have mood swings since day one, I'm used to it." She said laughing. "Now come on, you and my nephew need to rest."

"Nephew? We're pretty sure it's a girl."

"Oh no, you're having a boy." She smiled as she leaned down to my stomach. "Goodnight my little nephew, Aunt Meredith can't wait to spoil you!"

"Your niece will love being spoiled!" I yelled as Meredith went off to her bedroom. I looked down and ran my hands over my bump. "I know your dad will spoil you rotten too, baby girl, just you wait.."