Episode 9: The crow and the firefly

Morning arrived soon then anyone wanted. Midoriya slept in for the longest while Todoroki was the first up to do a perimeter check like he did every mourning. Except today he found Kaminari sitting outside on one of the old ruined cars with his chainsaw and usual get up. Todoroki walked up to him silently and handed him a bar of chocolate and dried apricots, to which he happily accepted. Today Denki had his yellow bangs tied back into a small bun as he puffed out smoke from some cigarettes he had saved.

"Jiro gave me some bad habits." He chuckled putting it out on the car roof before flicking the bud off to which Todoroki just shrugged off and hopped on to the roof with him. The winds of winter started to blow though their hair as the sun rise loomed from behind them before the first specs of winter snow dance down from the sky. Todoroki loved the snow, it only made the sensation of warming up by the fire that much better afterwards. Kaminari liked the snow too but it just reminded him of snowball fights when he was younger. Better times.

"Your up early, usually last up." Todoroki commented as he chewed on some dried pieces of fruits, he got tired of tinned tuna. Kaminari seemed distant today, win blowing through his hair while he checked a pocket watch that he had close to his chest, hooked on a rope. It was scratched and damaged but the clock face was still readable and he regularly held it close to his chest.

"That important to you?"

"Yeah, it was my grandfathers, that man sure was great." Kaminari replied looking up at the sky, closing his eyes as he let the snow fall on his face, the cold sensation making his spine jitter. The two continued their chat on top of the snot green sudan which was being pasted in snow very slowly. Kaminari's tongue ran along his bottom lip while continuing to snack on the food Todoroki had brought which was giving him a much needed energy boost.

"Hey, do you and Midoriya want the house for the night, ya know date nights or whatever you two do." Kaminari suggested an idea to which Todoroki hadn't put much thought into, it was always survival at the forefront of his mind but now he and Midoriya had a chance to cut loose and just enjoy a night together.

"Where are you gonna go then?"

"I'll occupy my time." He replied, popping a small smirk on to his lips, clearly having heard some of the exchange last night or at least getting an idea of it.

"Ok then, I'll take you up on that."

#WHILE TODOROKI AND MIDORIYA HAVE DINNER~

Kaminari had been walking the lonely roads for a while, trying to avoid as many zombies as possible although he did have to slice some heads off now and again but only when they impeded his path. As his walk continued the ground beneath him got more rough and the road began to fade out until it was a loose gravel set path winding through an increasingly dense forest. Denki eventually reached a log cabin, a light already lit from the inside, gentle orange glow seeping through the blinds.

"Got here early then." He sighed steeping up the creaky wooden steps to the rickety patio with a old neglected rocking chair on it, only getting attention from the gusts of wind blowing through. He knocked on the door three times and then tapped the cold iron handle twice which was quickly followed by the sound of chains sliding off.

"Hey."

"Hey." Tokoyami responded opening the door for him before the broody dark haired boy skulked back over to the sofa, quickly joined by Kaminari who hopped the cushions energetically. The two had always known where each other and at once shared a hide out of sorts but Tokoyami wanted alone time and Kaminari wasn't one to deny him that but they both would meet up and keep tabs on each other. Because that's what friends did.

"Bakugou and Kirishima came by a few weeks ago, they were looking for you." He said relaxing into the old sofa, Kaminari handing him a smoke as Tokoyami couldn't knock an old habit so he entrusted them to his only reliable friend. Momo would just lecture him.

"You tell em' where I was."

"Nope. Didn't know where you were." This little cabin was at the centre of all of them, Momo's community about an hours walk north, the city about two hours west and the place where Kaminari was crashing to the south. Their meetings had become a regular occurrence that they could both look forward to, the first day of the month at 8:00pm.

"Some guy showed up yesterday, his name was Shigarki or something and he se-" Tokoyami froze and the smoke in-between his fingers dropped to the wooden floors and instantly went out. Kaminari looked at him concerned, his right arm was shaking pretty noticeably, one good eye burning with rage.

"Tokoya-"

"Run. Where ever your staying now, pack up and leave." His voice was so stern and authority that Kaminari was in shock. Sure Tokoyami was serious but now... now he was scared.

"Tokoyami, please who is this guy?" He asked in a soft voice putting an arm on the others shoulder as a sign of support but primitive instincts took over and Tokoyami back handed Kaminari on to the cold wooden floor, instantly realising what he did and jumped down to his side.

"Kaminari! I'm so sorry!" Tokoyami apologised, lifting the blonde up in his arms who quickly got back on his own two feet and dusted himself off, he was used to taking hits.

"Dude, I'm fine, just calm down and explain things to me." Kaminari said slowly, sliding his hand into the others, his grip strong and sweaty which Kaminari found oddly nice. Tokoyami was always so shut off, this sense to keep to himself was something that drove him but here he was panicking about someone else for once. It was a weird feeling.