What Do You Say?

(Anna's POV)

I didn't know why it freaked me out so much to see that poster. Seeing advertisements for my movies never usually bothered me, in fact they made me proud. Though for some reason, I didn't want Alexa to know that side of me – I wanted her to know the real me.

The movie finished two hours later and was brilliant as was expected. We'd left the cinemas and I drove around, in search of somewhere to eat for lunch.

"Feel like anything in particular?" I asked back in the car. Alexa's stomach grumbled in the next seat over and I laughed at the uncanniness of it.

"Well, I don't mind Mexican."

I grinned. Definitely my daughter. "Neither do I."

We stopped at the nearest Taco Bell and ate our lunch on a park bench overlooking a small pond.

"So, Alexa," I started, looking at her over my burrito. "How do you like the orphanage? Really?"

Alexa's chewing slowed to a stop and I could tell she was thinking of what to say. "Well, I'm kind of used to it by now but this orphanage here isn't that bad. I have Ethan at least." She smiled at that last bit and looked up at me. "It's okay, I deal with it."

I couldn't help but feel my heart break a little. Despite her smile, her sad eyes told me everything. Orphanages are not nice places . . . and I was the one put her there.

"It's not good, is it . . ." I met her gaze and held it for a few seconds. She closed her eyes and looked down, shaking her head.

"It's bearable," her voice a whisper. I closed my eyes. I honestly didn't believe I could care so much for one person. I thought that the decade-and-a-half long separation would be too long to truly connect with this girl. But now I know that I'd do anything for her. Now I know how it feels to love like a mother loves a daughter. At that moment I realised that I've never regretted anything more in my life than leaving her at the place. I wish I could rewind time and watch my daughter grow. I sighed, knowing I can never take back what I lost. Though I could start afresh. We could be family.

I took a deep breath and swivelled on the bench so I was fully facing her. My burrito lay on a napkin in my lap, growing colder by the second.

"Alexa, listen," she rose her head so her blue were looking up through long lashes. "How would you like to come back with me to Los Angeles? I know it's a lot to ask and I totally understand if you'd rather stay here where you grew up. I did a shitty thing and you don't know how much I wish I could take it back. But I would love for us to be family for real."

I paused and anxiously watched as her brow furrowed.

"What do you say?"