Meet My Friend

(Anna's POV)

Later that night, while Alexa and I were watching late night TV, Brittany Snow called me. I excused myself and went into the kitchen.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Kendrick. Listen, I was thinking we all hang out again next weekend. Anna and Skylar are coming over for dinner and drinks. We thought we could invite everyone. What do you think?"

I bit my lip. "Yeah, Britt, I'm sorry but I won't be able to go this weekend. Something came up and I don't have a lot of spare time on my hands."

"Oh, what's up? Can I help with anything?"

"No, no, that's fine. Trust me, it's not that big a deal. But thanks though."

Brittany paused. "You know you can tell me anything right? If something bad's happened, you know I'll be here to help."

"No, I know. It's nothing bad. The opposite actually. But no, it's okay, don't worry about it."

"Well, okay then. As long as you're okay." I could hear suspicion in her voice. "So when do you think you'll be free."

"I don't know, Snow. I'll let you know. And, dude, you know we only left set like two weeks ago?"

"Well, yeah, two weeks is too long. We miss you."

"Okay, well, I'll see what I can do."

She thanked me and hung up. I bit my lip again. I knew I wasn't going to be able to go. I couldn't leave Alexa alone for a night after she just got here. I left my phone on the counter and returned to the living room to see the credits rolling and Alexa asleep on the couch. I smiled myself, still in disbelief that this amazing thing was finally happening. Every time I looked at her I thought it wasn't possible for me to love her more than I already did – and every time I proved myself wrong.

I switched off the TV and turned off the light as Alexa began to stir.

"Bed time?" I asked with a smiled. She nodded, stifling a yawn. "Yeah, me too."

She stretched and sleepily stumbled over to me.

"Thank you," she said and hugged me. I sighed and wrapped my arms around her.

"You're so welcome, Al. I'm sorry it took me so long to meet you. I love you so much."

She pulled away, bade goodnight and made her way up the stairs to her room.

While I was laying in bed that night, the conversation with Brittany played over and over in my mind. She was right, I could tell her anything. And even now, a little part of me wanted to tell her. She was one of my closest friends and if could tell my neighbour then I'm sure I'd be able to tell her. Though, I felt this was something not to discuss over the phone. I decided I'd check with Alexa tomorrow and then invite Brittany over for dinner tomorrow night. /

--

The next morning, while we were eating pancakes out on the patio, I brought it up.

"Hey, Al?"

She looked up with a mouthful of pancake. "Mmm?"

"Would you be okay with a friend of mine coming over for dinner tonight? She's pretty cool so I think you'll really like her. I haven't told her about you yet but I don't want to keep you from her, you know?"

Alexa swallowed. "Yeah, of course, that's fine." A pondering look washed over her then and she frowned.

"What?"

Her eyes snapped back to mine. "Oh! Nothing, nothing."

We finished breakfast and I texted Brittany.

Me: Hey Britt, can you come over tonight? I guess I do have something to tell you...

Brittany: Of course! What time?

Brittany: You're okay right?

Me: Around 5ish? I'm fine I'm fine, everything is great.

Brittany: Well that's good. I'll see you then :)