Goodbye

(Alexa's POV)

As soon as we got up to my room and closed the door, the realisation that I'd be leaving Ethan here hit home. He'd been my friend forever. I wasn't sure how I felt about leaving him to go to the other side of the country.

"Hey, Ethan," I dropped my gaze. It kind of felt like I was betraying him. I know that's stupid but we've been together forever, it's not fair he has to stay here by himself. "I need to talk to you."

"What's up?"

"Well, Anna invited me to live with her in LA."

"That's great!" he perked up. "And you're going?"

I nodded.

"That's really great, Alexa." He smiled. "But – hey – what's wrong?"

I shrugged and tried to smile. "Well, California's on the other side of the country, isn't it?"

"Yeah . . ."

"Dude, I don't want to leave you. You're my only friend."

Ethan laughed. "That's what you're worried about? Bah, you'll meet new friends. They'll probably be famous. Imagine that."

"I guess . . . but I don't want to leave you."

Ethan rolled his eyes and stepped forward, "come here." He held out his arms and pulled me in a hug. "Listen to me, you have my number. I'll call you every day, I promise. And, who knows, maybe I can persuade someone to transfer me to an orphanage in LA. But believe me Alexa, one taste of the LA lifestyle and you'll forget all about me."

I frowned and hit his shoulder. "Don't say that. I won't forget you, idiot. I've known you for over half of my life. I can't forget someone like that so easily. It's going to be weird not seeing you every day. I'll miss you."

His embrace tightened. "I'll miss you too."

After a minute, he coughed and stepped back. "Okay come on, time to get packing."

--

Friday arrived and Ethan and I sat in the administration room waiting for Anna. She sent me a text saying she'd be coming around 7:30. It was 7:15. My bag was packed and rested at my feet.

Five minutes later, Anna pulled up out the front. She smiled her toothy smile once she entered the room and made her way over to me.

"You ready?"

I nodded and rose, swinging my bag over my shoulder. Ethan got up to and hugged me one last time.

"See ya later, Al. Call me as soon as you land." He rested his chin on top of my head and I couldn't help the little tear escape and slide down my cheek. I was about to say goodbye to my best friend of ten years. I doubted the orphanage would let him fly out and see me. I promised myself I would come back here to see him before too long.

"Bye, Ethan. I'll miss you."

Anna spoke to the front desk lady for a few minutes and soon enough we were on our way to the airport.