Sixteen. Isla.

I wake to dozens of frantic calls from the others. It only takes a few seconds for me to realise what it is that's happened whilst I've been sleeping, just from casting my eye over the text previews. Trys is missing.

     I get ready as quickly as I can without looking completely disgusting, and text Lexi to say I'll be over in a bit. I ponder over picking up Nex first but decide he's probably already there. As I'm about to leave, I hear Steph descend the stairs behind me and wince.

          "Where are you going?" she asks, but to my relief it's more of a question than a demand.

          "Lexi's," I reply hastily whilst zipping up my boots. "We're all heading over there." Steph raises her eyebrows and chin simultaneously, seeming not to care and waves me away, walking into the living room. I let out a deep breath, and turn to the door, unlocking it, and then locking it again behind me. Placing my feet down in the small spaces of path, peeking through the leaves, I look around at the unkempt fronds writhing over the bricks. I shudder as my mind starts to spin, turning them into vines, ready to twist around my ankles, and I run quickly to the gate, heart racing. Even now, after so many years of our garden looking the same, the overwhelming sense of powerlessness still racks me whenever I pick my way through it.

          It doesn't take me long to reach Lexi's house, especially as I'm by myself. I hate walking alone, so it speeds up my pace hugely. I'm about to knock when Lexi rushes out of the house, followed by Tay. She grabs my hand and pulls me along with her, and I let out a short yelp.

          "Where are we going?" I manage to say. Lexi ignores me but Tay gives a small smile.

          "Trystan's. We're going to help his parents find him." I attempt to nod, but Lexi yanks my arm harder and I run faster to keep up. As we round the corner, we see a police car parked outside his house, and I instantly know he hasn't returned, though I'm sure the police wont start a search party until about 24 hours after he's been missing. Andrea welcomes us in, her eyes bloodshot, and, not to be rude, she looks a mess. I mean, you can't exactly blame her! I feel a surge of sympathy and instantly pull her into an unexpected but not unwanted hug, and she squeezes me tightly, I think to comfort herself more than me. I can feel her body trembling against mine, and I bite my lip nervously.

          We are ushered into the lounge, where two police officers are seated, a man and a woman, each around 30. The man smiles at us and offers us a seat whilst the woman remains holding a stony expression, eyeing us up and down, which makes me instantly nervous. She stands, pursing her lips, and says she must get something from the car, before turning to leave.

          "Jenny isn't that bad." The policeman winks at us. "She's just concerned that's all. Missing cases make her extra grumpy," he chuckles lightly and we share a ripple of amusement. When Jenny - or Officer Denvers as we have to call her - returns, she asks us a few questions, nothing too bad, just things like: How do you know Trystan? When did you last see him, etc. It's all routine, nothing personal, yet I still feel uneasy answering the questions, and I can feel myself fidgeting too much. Tay shoots me a look of warmth and Lexi grabs my hand. I finally get a proper look at her; her face is tear stained and red, contrasted with her normal perfect made up complexion. Its not like I haven't seen her like this before anyway, I mean we've been friends since we've been at Saffsby Seniors so I've seen her upset many times.

          "Would you mind following me?" George (Officer Warp) asks Tay and she nods, getting up and moving towards the kitchen, leaving Lexi and I alone with Officer Denvers, who studies us carefully.

          "So you say you're his girlfriend, correct?" She narrows her eyes slightly as she talks to Lexi. My friend nods silently and the police woman's eyes soften. "I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. He's probably at a mate's like some have suggested. Its not uncommon for teens to get drunk and end up lost somewhere." She puts a hand on Lexi's shoulder, "Tonight, try and rest. Being up all night won't help you or Trystan if he hasn't returned by then. And if that's the case, we'd have sent out a search party anyway, maybe even some sniffer dogs. More rest equals less stress okay?" she comforts her, and Lexi looks up, nodding again. It's strange to see Officer Denvers being so kind, but it seems to calm Lexi down. I huddle deeper into the folds of the sofa.

           Suddenly, Officer Warp bursts into the room, his eyes wide and searching.

          "Jenny we have something. Someone says they saw something down by the lake. We just had a call." 

          "What?" Lexi jumps to her feet, "He dropped me off by my house! The lake is almost the other side of Saffsby! Why would he be there?" My brow furrows and my heart begins to race impulsively.

          "Excuse me." I race upstairs to the bathroom. I sit on the toilet seat to steady myself but it's too late. It's happening again, and I can't stop it.