Friends?

Alex's POV
Maria and I walked downstairs to a small dining room. Lafayette and Peggy were already there along with Thomas.
"Ah there they are!" Thomas said handing me a glass of water.
"Good morning," Maria said sitting down to eat. Her eyes shined with love. I was the luckiest man alive. I sat down next to her and kissed her cheek.
"Awwww," Peggy said. Laf's arm was firmly around her waist not wanting to let go. A slave came up with plates of food. I glared at Thomas. He rolled his eyes and we began to eat.
Maria's POV
Alex wouldn't stop looking at me, which I had no problem with, but there was something different about the way he looked at me, not lust, stronger than love and I just couldn't place my finger on it. Angelica had left last night.
"Alex may I speak to you in private?" Thomas asked. Alex nodded, kissed my cheek and went down the hall.
Alex's POV
Thomas pulled me aside a strange look in his eyes.
"You wanna marry her right?" Thomas said. He was never this straight forward.
"Y-y-yeah," I stuttered.
"Than propose you don't want to wait to long do you?" He said.
"No, but I don't have a ring."
"We're going on a walk around the lake today there's this one beautiful were we are going to stop and take in the view. When we get there just ask her and then she can help you pick out the ring," Thomas looked up at me.
"O-o-okay I do want to marry her, but Thomas the way you're acting is almost like we're friends," I said. Thomas laughed.
"Alexander as much as I hate you you're a good person at heart and care about her. There is no harm in asking." With that we walked back into the dining room to finish eating.
A/N cliffhanger. I know I'm bad at them, but what will happen next chapter, will Maria say yes? Thanks for reading.
---Elegant Panda Ninja