Chapter 3: Tick Tock

My hand reaches out to cover my mouth and I gasp, staring at the message on my phone.

I tell myself to calm down and take deep breaths, that it's a joke. A silly, stupid, heartless joke, but before I manage to brainwash myself into believing it, my phone beeps again. I don't know if I dare to watch it, but what if it's from one of my friends?

Stop being silly, I think for myself. I'm not going to break down because of one text and even if it would be Nick, what would he do? I got the advantage this time because I'm inside of my room and he - I let my eye wander through the room - isn't.

A small amount of warmth fills my veins, anger, or maybe irritation?

I look at my phone and read the message, it wasn't from anyone of my friends.

From: Unknown

Missed me? Because I've surely missed you, babe.

I almost gag in-between my mixed emotions of fear, anger, and disgust. There's no need to panic. I'll just call the cops if Nick is even here. He might as well be on the other side of the planet and happened to figure out my number.

Again, my phone signals that I've got yet another message and I open it.

From: Unknown

Don't you care enough to answer? I would if I were you. Wouldn't want to get your little red-headed friend in trouble, would you?

Before I have time to reply, or even let the message sink through, I receive another one.

From: Unknown

She won't be the only one who will be hurt if you so much as utter one word about this to anyone.

And there, ladies and gentlemen, my chances of happiness and calling the police for that sake too, got crushed into a million pieces.

I realize that I better get going if I don't want to be late for school. I push the thought away and type in Lindsey's number on my phone and call her, anxiously driving my fingers through my hair until she picks up.

"Hello?" She murmurs into the microphone, "Allie, why in-"

"Lindsey!" I cut her off, "are you okay?"

The line is quiet for a moment before she replies, and I even think that I could make out the sound of a yawn.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be? Allie, is everything okay?"

I open my mouth to tell her about the text, but then I remember what it said. I can't tell anyone about it, does that include Lindsey? Probably.

I don't want to take the chance to tell her and then have to pay for my mistake and I shake my head in frustration.

"No, everything is fine. I just woke up with a bad feeling in my gut, like if something bad was going on or would happen."

If she bought it, I will be forever grateful.

"Are you sure? Because you do know that it's in the middle of the night here, right? I'm not sure you would call me only because of a gut feeling, no offense."

"Yes, yeah I know and I'm really sorry and I'll admit that it wasn't only because of the gut feeling. I-I had a nightmare", I lie and stutter on purpose. "I-I dreamed that you... t-that you...", I pause dramatically, "let's just say it was terrible and I wanted to make sure you're safe and sound at home."

I can almost imagine her eyes fill with pity over my words because the lie I just uttered was a lie not too hard to believe since I've been having nightmares lately, which she knows about.

" Oh, Allie. I'm sorry, do you wanna talk about it? You know I'm always here for you."

"Yeah, I know and no, it's fine. Just go back to sleep and promise to take care and-"

"And not go into some strangers car because he got candy? Don't worry, I'll be careful and I don't plan to leave my cozy bed until my mom storms in and yells at me to get my lazy ass to school."

I laugh dryly but get a nagging feeling in my stomach. I probably should answer the text before Nick's patient runs out. That the unknown person is Nick is obvious because as far as I know, I don't have any other creepy stalkers who finds joy in threatening to hurt my friends.

"Sounds like you haven't changed at all. Well, I should go to school now. Talk to you soon, love you!"

"Trust me, I haven't, and have fun in school, I just gonna go back to sleep since some of us don't have a boyfriend to be cozy with, and don't forget that I love you even more, bye!" She makes a kissing sound with her mouth through the microphone on the phone and I reply by doing the same before hanging up.

I've got another message two minutes ago, as I talked to Lindsey.

From: Unknown

Tick tock. You got ten minutes before more than Lindsey's head will be red.

A shiver runs down my spine as I read it and I have to bite myself on my bottom lip to not squeak in fear. I got eight minutes left, and quickly write and send a reply, not wanting my best friend to be in danger. Maybe Nick's faking it, maybe not. I don't want to find out.

From: Alex

To: Unknown

What do you want?

He replies in a matter of second.

From: Unknown

You.