Chapter 37: Underneath

This chapter contains themes that some readers may find upsetting and/or disturbing due to nudity and sexual assault

I wake up to the feeling of something moving across my cheek. Within a second, my eyes are wide open and I start squirming, trying to stand up. A terrified shriek escapes my lips but it quickly dies down as I notice Nick's face that is barely a decimetre away from mine. He chuckles at my terrified expression and caresses my cheek with his fingers again before sliding down to my chin and lifting it up.

"Relax, gorgeous", he snickers, "it's only me."

I glare at him and try to hide the blush that creeps onto my face. "Why did you do that?" I mutter and pout at him.

"Because you were irresistibly cute with your face snuggled into my shirt."

"I was not!" I argue and look around, trying to find the zipper to the sleeping back. When I don't find it, I start to crawl out of it instead but Nick easily wraps his arms around me and hold me back.

"Not so fast, gorgeous", he smirks, "let's just enjoy this moment for a little while."

"What moment?" I hiss while I try to get his hands off of me. "A moment when you hold me pressed against your body against my will after you almost scared me to death, isn't a moment to enjoy."

His hand slips inside my shirt and along my back. "No, but a moment where I wake up to my beautiful girlfriend snuggling into my chest is a moment I want to enjoy."

"I'm. Not. Your. Girlfriend." I hiss, emphasizing each word.

He pecks my cheek, he did try to kiss my lips but I turned away, and hug me tightly.

"You're living in denial."

I'm too tired to argue with him and just shake my head instead.

"What time is it?" I ask and accidentally yawn.

Nick reaches for his phone to check it.

"Half past eight."

"Ugh." I close my eyes again and make myself as comfortable as possible on Nick's arm, which I rest my head on since he's still hugging me.

"If you won't mind, I'll go back to sleep again", I mumble, "you can wake me when all of this is over or when you finally realize that what you are doing is wrong and you let me go."

When he doesn't answer, I peek one eye open and glance at him.

"You've changed", he says, "you weren't this... casual and relaxed before."

"Well, maybe it's because I'm not afraid of you anymore", I sigh, not realizing the meaning of the words until it's too late to take them back. I'm not scared of him. I act the way I do because I don't think he'll hurt me. I don't know why I'm not afraid of him, but I did mean what I just said, but it doesn't even make sense in my head. It's only been a few hours ago since I was terrified he would shoot either mom or dad and that wasn't the first time he scared me to death. He's been close to killing Martha before, with the stupid dog tag I'm still wearing around my neck.

"You're not scared of me?" Nick asks me and I stare at him, dumbfoundedly.

"I... uhm-"

"Good. I don't want you to be." He removes his hand from my back and looks me in the eyes. "I gotta go and fix some stuff but I'll be back in an hour or so. You can get some more sleep meanwhile."