Chapter 24: Way To Go

"Bye, I'm leaving now!" I shout to Martha as I slip my shoes on and exit the house, hurrying to the bus stop.

I get there just in time as the bus appears at the end of the road and I sigh in relief. Let's just say that I really got to work on my time estimation.

I take a place in the back and plug in my earphones as the bus continues down the road.

When I woke up this morning, Nick was gone just as he said he would. My phone was practically spammed with missed calls and loads and loads of messages, but I had expected that as well.

If it wasn't for the fact that my anger towards Jamie still hasn't cooled down, I would've felt sorry for him. But I don't.

He can't tell Nathaniel because it won't change how the things are. Truth to be told, it would just hurt me even more since it wouldn't change the fact that we can't be together as long as Nick's in the picture.

It's almost... fascinating how one small thing can change your life completely. If I wouldn't go to the school that day for about two months ago, I would probably still be in America with Carol, Brian, and Lottie. Maybe, none of these things that have happened would have occurred if I just hid in one of the changing rooms that terrible day. Sure, the kidnapping brought my parents back and if it wouldn't be for Nick, I wouldn't be here in England and that means I would've never met Nathaniel or my new friends but back two months ago, none of those things would've mattered to me.

Back two months ago, all the friends I needed to be happy was there with me in America and even though I hadn't found love, yet, I was happy with my life. Even though I didn't know who my real parents were, I went on with my life.

When I reunited with them, we had a deep talk that lasted for hours and they told me that the reason they put me up for adoption in the first place was that they were so young and that I came as a surprise.

Martha was seventeen back then, Roland twenty, but their relationship wasn't the best, they had a lot of fights, and all they wanted to do was enjoy life for a while before settling down. Martha figuring out she was pregnant destroyed that plan and at first, they thought about having an abortion, but Martha didn't have the have the heart to do it and instead, they left me for adoption as soon as I was born.

I guess I should be happy that they thought about my best when they handed me over to strangers, but I don't know if I actually do. I'm okay with it now because now I do understand, but as a child? I thought there must've been something wrong with me, I thought they didn't love me, because why else would they leave me?

Shaking my head at the sad thoughts, I return back to reality and realize that the next stop is the school.

None of my friends take the bus but as I get out of it, I notice Sabrina standing a few meters away, waving at me like a maniac.

I smile at her as she walks up to me.

"Hi!" she says in a chirpy voice and hooks her arm with mine, practically dragging me through the school entrance.

"What's up with you today?" I ask her and she gasps theatrically.

"You don't know?" she says with her eyes now in the size of saucers.

"Don't know...?" I question, meaning for her to go on. She shakes her head and tsk at me.

"It's the big football game tonight! You're coming, right?" A heavy sigh escapes my lips at her words and I groan.

"Celiné!" Sabrina pouts, "you gotta be there, okay?"

"But you know I don't like footb-"

"Doesn't matter", she cuts me off, "you're coming with me whether you like it or not. There's going to be a big party afterward anyway and I would be such an awful friend if I let you sit home alone on your lazy ass instead of partying."