Chapter 20: Beauty And The Beast

"C'mon, it's time to go", Nick mumble right next to my ear and tug at my shirt. I bit myself in my bottom lip and look at Parker who lies in the hospital bed, his skin paler than usual.

"Just a few more minutes", I plead and glance at Parker again. He's fine, the surgery went well and he'll be able to leave the hospital tomorrow. Sadly, he'll go back home to America together with Lindsey and Patricia, leaving me alone with Nick and those friends I have that don't know the truth about me.

"You said that ten minutes ago", Nick complains, "and ten minutes before that."

"Well, I don't force you to stay", I dare to say, earning a glare from him in return.

"Two minutes, no more", he finally gives in and I immediately take a few steps closer to Parker, grabbing his hand and looking directly at him.

"I'm sorry", I say for at least the tenth time. He gives me a weak smile and shakes his head.

"It's okay, it's not your fault", he says, his eyes moving to Nick, getting darker in the progress. Nick glares back at him and I sigh.

"Just... take care, okay?"

Parker flashes me another smile, looking at me sweetly.

"I will, just promise me you'll stay out of trouble as well", he says and I roll my eyes.

"Like if that is even possible", I mutter and shake my head, laughing slightly.

"I'm serious, Alex!" he almost whines and I immediately stop smiling.

"I know, and so am I."

Nick clears his throat behind me. "One minute."

I squeeze Parker's hand once more before letting go, turning to Lindsey and Patricia, who have stayed with Parker the whole time, instead.

"I'll miss you guys", I whisper, hugging them both at the same time.

"We'll miss you too", Lindsey says in her high pitched voice and Patricia hugs me even tighter, agreeing to Lindsey's words.

"Take care", I say before pulling back and turning around to Parker again. "You think you could handle a hug?" I ask and raise an eyebrow at him.

"Come at me, tiger", he playfully says and I smile and carefully, avoiding to putting pressure on his chest or shoulder in order to not hurt his bullet wound, put my arms around him. He hugs me back, putting so much pressure on the hug that it probably hurt him anyway, before we break apart and I wave them all goodbye as Nick sneak his arm around my waist.

Just as we are about to exit through the door, Lindsey calls out my name and I turn around.

"You almost forgot this." She holds my phone in my hand and I sigh in relief and grab it.

"Thank you!" Lindsey smiles, although it almost seems to be forced, and I glance over my shoulder at my friends as Nick pull me through the door.

We get back into his car and I get into the passenger seat without complaining or trying to run away. He would catch up anyway.

"So where are we going now?" I ask him as he pulls out of the parking lot, earning a shrug in response.

"You... don't know?" I question and he shrugs again.

"Either, I'll drive you home or I'll take you out for dinner", he says.

"Oh", I say, surprised, "I'll rather go home."

"Then so be it."

I eye him suspiciously from the corner of my eye, not knowing if I can really trust that he'll drive me home. Eventually, I lean back in my seat and relax, or at least I try to, and after a few minutes I, surprisingly enough, notice that we come to a halt at the road down my house.

Nick turns his attention towards me.

"Do Martha or Roland ever come into your room without warning you when you're home?" he asks and I furrow my eyebrows.

"No... not if I have the door closed. I can always lock it as well."

His face cracks into a smile and he looks at me with a mischievous glimpse in his eyes. "Perfect."

"Wha-" I start to say but he cut me off.

"I'm coming with you." With that, he opens his door and waits for me to get out as well. Slowly, I unbuckle my seatbelt and step out of the car, following Nick to my house after he locks the car.

I go in first, checking that the coast is clear, and then Nick and I hurry up to my room. Well inside, I close and lock the door and turn on my stereo, making sure that no one will hear our voices from outside the door.

"Pretty room", Nick comments and immediately make his way towards the game of chess on my bedside table. I still haven't got rid of it, although it feels as if I should.

Nick inspect the board for a while before he starts to move around some of the players from both sides. He then takes a step back with a satisfied look on his face.

"I don't get it", I say and walk up to the chess, noticing that some of the white and black pieces now are out of the game, although the white player, in other words I, is in a clear disadvantage.

"Don't get what?" Nick questions and I gesture towards the board.

"That! What's the point with playing a game of chess if you're the only one who plays it?"

Nick smirks at me and shakes his head.

"Oh, gorgeous, I'm not the only one who plays it. You're playing it too, I'm just moving your pieces."

"Then how come the black player is winning?" I say harshly.

"Because I am winning of course. I'm getting closer and closer to my winning for every second that pass."

"And what exactly is your goal?" I put my hands on my hip, trying to look intimidating.

"To get total control over you, maybe not to break you completely, but to turn you into mine and only mine."

I groan and sit down on my bed.

"So we're back there?" I sigh, "You still think I'm an object."

Nick shakes his head and sits down beside me. Knowing he'll stop me if I try to move away, I let him.

"You don't have to be an object to be mine. All you have to do is as I say, preferably love me as well."

I let myself fall backward, landing on the soft mattress, staring up at the roof.

"It's hard to love a monster", I mumble and feel the bed dip beside me when he lies down next to me.

"Belle fell in love with the beast, you know", Nick retort and the corner of my lips twist upwards.

"Yeah, but I'm not living in a fairytale. If I did, my Prince Charming would've saved me by now."

Nick chuckles and his hand reaches for mine, intertwining our fingers.

"You can't have your beloved Prince Charming", he mumbles, "in a story where the only prince is the beast."